PDA

View Full Version : DSM 13G Conversion Issue

GRSHOPR
10-18-2010, 11:54 PM
OK, so I'm in the process of replacing my blown rear 9b with a 13G. I did my research, and found all the threads and guides, and followed them to the letter. I got a 13G that matches the last two digits of my '91 9b (both serial numbers end in 00), but I can't get the housing to fit onto the 13G. The pin lines up just fine, and they slide together easily, but I can't get the gap between to close, and the compressor won't turn when the exhaust housing is attached. Can anyone explain why to me?? Am I missing something?? Thanks.

GRSHOPR
10-19-2010, 09:24 AM
And the turbines ARE the same size.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-19-2010, 12:59 PM
stupid question, but I guess you cleaned off the carbon and they are going together straight?

GRSHOPR
10-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Most of the carbon, but there is still some, but nothing enough to prevent them mating together. They were indeed lined up, and the pin was fit in straight, but, I can't get the housings to mate flush together. There's always a gap for some reason. On one of the posts I was reading, they were speaking of big lip and small lip. Could that be the issue?? I posted pics below for reference.

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac18/Hackurs/IMG_0367.jpg

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac18/Hackurs/IMG_0366.jpg

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac18/Hackurs/IMG_0365.jpg

http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac18/Hackurs/IMG_0363.jpg

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-19-2010, 05:04 PM
the big lip/small lip is where those last two digits come in to play. You are matching the wrong numbers. The last 2 digits on the compressor housing need to match between the old and new turbo.

Is that the replacement turbo? It is shot.

GRSHOPR
10-19-2010, 05:07 PM
What do you mean, it's shot?

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-19-2010, 05:08 PM
What do you mean, it's shot?

All of that caked on oil an wetness leads me to believe the bearings are worn out and have allowed oil to blow out. It needs a rebuild.

Good turbos' turbine wheels look bone dry and are tan to gray in color.

GRSHOPR
10-19-2010, 05:11 PM
What if you factored in a blown head gasket?? The inducer turbine is in great shape, that's why I ask. And I double checked, all the numbers on both turbos end in 00.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-19-2010, 05:13 PM
so you pulled that turbo off an engine with severe problems and are just going to install it on your car?

Seriously, take the time, at least get a rebuild kit and go through that turbo. I've been through plenty of DSM 13Gs myself.

I don't know what is going on exactly, but you have the wrong turbo for your exhaust housing somehow.

GRSHOPR
10-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Well, if the head gasket itself went, how could that adversely affect the turbo?? It spins great, there's absolutely no shaft play. It feels like it was just rebuilt.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-19-2010, 05:20 PM
oil contamination.

Hey if you want to run it I'm not going to argue with you, but if it starts smoking in a week don't be surprised.

GRSHOPR
10-19-2010, 05:21 PM
That's not what I meant, sorry. I was just curious how it could adversely affect the turbo.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-19-2010, 05:24 PM
no big deal. That thing looks oil soaked to me that's all. I'd hate to see you spend a couple hours replacing it again.

GRSHOPR
10-19-2010, 05:42 PM
Me too. It also looks that bad because I'm halfway through cleaning it with carb cleaner. Unfortunately, I don't have the money for a rebuild kit right now for this thing, and the only reason I got a 13G over a 9b was that I got a deal on the 13G, and it was cheaper. That and the fact that I need this car running yesterday (yet again), make me more adverse to rebuilding it right now. A buddy has been helping me out, and he thinks the turbo is good as well, so I kind of have to take the chance. It's really a rock and a hard place I'm in. I may wind up rebuilding it in a few weeks, but I have no real choice, unfortunately.

That aside, any ideas WTF is up with the exhaust housing or how to fix it?

GRSHOPR
10-19-2010, 10:37 PM
OK, so I tried it again on a whim, and the damn thing spun in the exhaust housing. No friggin idea. But it still does spin as freely as it should. Any ideas what it could be??

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-20-2010, 10:13 AM
you got pics of it put together? Once I get them most of the way together I put the clamp on and ever so carefully tighten it.

GRSHOPR
10-20-2010, 10:58 AM
How tight is ever so tightly?? I watch both turbines to check for clearance when I'm tightening it. When you assemble yours, is there always a gap between the shaft housing (not sure if that's what it's called. I'm referring to the middle part where the oil and coolant lines are), and the exhaust housing?? I always have a 1/4 inch gap for some reason. It makes me think it's binding somewhere, but when I take it all apart, there are no scratches anywhere.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-20-2010, 11:32 AM
No, the gap shouldn't be that big, the pieces should be touching. The clamp doesn't need to be super tight.

GRSHOPR
10-20-2010, 11:44 AM
Then there is my issue. But why won't the gap close?? What could cause that?

Chris@Rvengeperformance
10-20-2010, 01:56 PM
the only thing I can think of is the compressor housing on one of them has been changed out at one point or something has been machined and your lip sizes don't really match. Measure the 13G cartridge lip and your old 9b one and see if it is the same.

GRSHOPR
10-20-2010, 02:04 PM
I won't be able to til I get home, but look at the pics. see the lip RIGHT at the top of the 9b exhaust housing? It's barely a lip, but it's not on the 13G housing. It's the second pic, right near the top you can see the lip I'm talking about. Right near the hole for the pin.

11secondFWD
10-21-2010, 09:59 PM
I have a great dsm 13g for cheap. Pm me an offer if you are interested and I will look at the numbers tomorrow in the meantime..

GRSHOPR
10-21-2010, 11:01 PM
Pm'ed you.

blindmist
10-21-2010, 11:17 PM
I have a great dsm 13g for cheap. Pm me an offer if you are interested and I will look at the numbers tomorrow in the meantime..

Maybe yall could do a trade for a few dollars more? Then you could rebuild and he wont be out so much money. Just a thought.