PDA

View Full Version : Car died while driving and now will crank but wont start

Stealth117
06-02-2015, 12:08 AM
I own a 1993 dodge stealth rt. About a week ago I was stopped at a light and accelerated rather fast but nothing I haven't done before..As I make it around the corner the car feels like it was stalling and then dies. From here on out It has cranked solid without any abnormal noises. I replaced the fuel pump as I thought it was the problem due to the nature of the car dying and not starting but that did nothing. I checked and I believe it doesn't have spark. All fuses are good.
Is it possible that the timing jumped a tooth, therefore it has caused timing issues and the cas cannot read it properly which will not allow it to start?
Any help is appreciated!!

gonesh
06-02-2015, 12:35 AM
It's very possible. You need to pull the covers and check the 4 marks up top. If they match, you should go ahead and verify the crank too, just to rule it out. Testing the crank/cam sensors would be the next step.

Uniuno
06-02-2015, 07:41 AM
Also, check the capacitors in your ECU. They are known to go bad. Could also be the PTU, but less likely.

Some might argue that the ECU would give signs of failing before actually quiting, but I have shut a car off after driving perfect and then not start. It happened on the ol' lady's '91 ES on her birthday after just getting the car, talk about a good time.

rfultz2
06-02-2015, 09:58 AM
Check for spark at the coil if no spark and you hear clicking by radio its ecu

rfultz2
06-02-2015, 12:15 PM
I own a 1993 dodge stealth rt. About a week ago I was stopped at a light and accelerated rather fast but nothing I haven't done before..As I make it around the corner the car feels like it was stalling and then dies. From here on out It has cranked solid without any abnormal noises. I replaced the fuel pump as I thought it was the problem due to the nature of the car dying and not starting but that did nothing. I checked and I believe it doesn't have spark. All fuses are good.
Is it possible that the timing jumped a tooth, therefore it has caused timing issues and the cas cannot read it properly which will not allow it to start?
Any help is appreciated!!

This sounds exactly like what happened when ecu went out. Listen directly to the center console and turn the key what do you hear? I doubt its timing if you dont have spark its prolly ecu or ckp

stealthee
06-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Have you actually verified you are getting power to the fuel pump?

I had an issue once where I started the car, it acted like it was running out of fuel and it died. After a series of diagnosis I found out I had no power to the pump.

After more diagnosis I found I did have power at the MFI relay so there was an issue between it and the pump. I ran a new wire from the MFI to the pump and can ran like factory.

The green/black wire is the power wire for the pump. In order to check for power at the pump the car needs to be cranking. There is no fuel pump prime.

Stealth117
06-02-2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks for all the posts its very appreciated!! I just replaced the ecu, ptu and fuel pump relay a few months ago when the car was running rough however I will be pulling the ecu today to verify that the rebuilt caps are holding up. I believe the pump is working because but I may be mistaken.. when I went to replace the stock fuel pressure regulator with a new one gas came out of the fuel rail and I heard a slight hiss as the pressure leaked out. After the issue was not resolved I pulled the new one to replace it with the stock and again there was gas coming out and the hiss of pressure being released. I checked the spark on the first 3 wires.. while someone was cranking it I lifted up the wires one by one on the coil pack and there was no arch, after that I just barely put all the wires on the coil pack and didn't hear or see any arch. My battery has gone dead and every time I start it I hook it up to a live car to get the juice. Today I also plan on checking the timing, I will post an update after investigating these issues.

Stealth117
06-02-2015, 04:14 PM
Update: After manually turning the engine I noticed that compression was very good, also I matched up the timing marks on the cams and found that the 2nd cam in the front was off by one tooth while the other 3 matched up perfectly. I suspect this is the cause of no spark.. Any further input is appreciated!