PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake Idea!

Assy
10-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Well while my engine is out, I decided to relocate a few things. Anyway i think i figured out a nice way to route the intake

Would this work? The pipe will go under fuse box and to engine. I know i will have to extend the MAS plug12301231

x2xtreme360
10-13-2010, 10:03 AM
You're just asking for trouble with a cai... And they're really useless. No point.

green-lantern
10-13-2010, 10:06 AM
It's a good way to hydrolock your engine when it rains. Don’t ask me how I know.

Assy
10-13-2010, 02:56 PM
It's a good way to hydrolock your engine when it rains. Don’t ask me how I know.

What if i added a check valve, so when water tries to get it it wont suck it up?

x2xtreme360
10-13-2010, 03:05 PM
What if i added a check valve, so when water tries to get it it wont suck it up?

A check valve is a one way valve. That means that a check valve will not prevent water from being sucked up into your engine.

CAI do not net any performance gains, and I'm pretty sure your engine is out being rebuilt due to a spun bearing and lack of oil pressure;) Don't make things worse for yourself... the stock configuration is fine. If you really want to, you could get an aluminum isolator box so the filter doesn't suck in hot engine air... but again, will you see gains? No.

Assy
10-13-2010, 03:09 PM
A check valve is a one way valve. That means that a check valve will not prevent water from being sucked up into your engine.

CAI do not net any performance gains, and I'm pretty sure your engine is out being rebuilt due to a spun bearing and lack of oil pressure;) Don't make things worse for yourself... the stock configuration is fine. If you really want to, you could get an aluminum isolator box so the filter doesn't suck in hot engine air... but again, will you see gains? No.

Well i ment more like a small filter higher up the pipe, so when the pressure is to much it will pull from there thus making the water fall out right? Why do people put cai if it doesnt help?

Leave my engine alone! :P and not so much a spun bearing, its more like wore out bearings haha

x2xtreme360
10-13-2010, 03:12 PM
Well i ment more like a small filter higher up the pipe, so when the pressure is to much it will pull from there thus making the water fall out right? Why do people put cai if it doesnt help?

Leave my engine alone! :P and not so much a spun bearing, its more like wore out bearings haha

People install CAI's because they are uninformed. Not that I'm saying anything about you when I say that... but that's really the reason. People seem to think that they actually do something. Even if the air is a few degrees cooler down there, it doesn't make a difference. You should be worrying about upgrading your intercooler;) Those help a lot more.

Assy
10-13-2010, 03:49 PM
People install CAI's because they are uninformed. Not that I'm saying anything about you when I say that... but that's really the reason. People seem to think that they actually do something. Even if the air is a few degrees cooler down there, it doesn't make a difference. You should be worrying about upgrading your intercooler;) Those help a lot more.

I see, I wont do that then. Iv heard people say they gutted the MAS what will that do? And if i was a TT i would do that but sadly im N/A

x2xtreme360
10-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I see, I wont do that then. Iv heard people say they gutted the MAS what will that do? And if i was a TT i would do that but sadly im N/A

Why did I think you had a GTO?:confused: Anyway, gutted MAS isn't advised either because the honey comb keeps the air going straight. There's really not a whole lot you can do with the intake on the NA's besides an open element filter. Our cars are pretty nonrestrictive from the factory.

green-lantern
10-13-2010, 10:03 PM
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/hptech4564/DSCF6871.jpg

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/hptech4564/DSCF6872.jpg

stealthee
10-13-2010, 10:13 PM
I got damn lucky not once, but TWICE when I had a CAI. I sucked water up and it luckily stalled the car when it hit the MAS rather than getting further up the intake. I didn't even drive through a puddle. I was just driving in some rain showers. Both times when the car stalled I pulled the MAS off and dumped about a cup of water out of the MAS and had to wait for it to dry before I could go anywhere.

There was absolutely no gain in power from a CAI to a regular open element filter. I ran the CAI at the track and after I removed it I just had a filter and ran identical times. They are not worth the risk.

And you asked about the check valves. I have heard on more than one occasion of them detoriating and the engine sucking pieces of them up.

To top it all off, it would never fit the way you have it sitting right now. The CAI's found on ebay are designed for NON ABS cars because the intake is routed through the hole that the ABS unit sits in.

Assy
10-13-2010, 11:32 PM
I got damn lucky not once, but TWICE when I had a CAI. I sucked water up and it luckily stalled the car when it hit the MAS rather than getting further up the intake. I didn't even drive through a puddle. I was just driving in some rain showers. Both times when the car stalled I pulled the MAS off and dumped about a cup of water out of the MAS and had to wait for it to dry before I could go anywhere.

There was absolutely no gain in power from a CAI to a regular open element filter. I ran the CAI at the track and after I removed it I just had a filter and ran identical times. They are not worth the risk.

And you asked about the check valves. I have heard on more than one occasion of them detoriating and the engine sucking pieces of them up.

To top it all off, it would never fit the way you have it sitting right now. The CAI's found on ebay are designed for NON ABS cars because the intake is routed through the hole that the ABS unit sits in.
Ay steathee whats needed to remove abs i dont want it im trying to clean my engine bay as much as i can

Damn your lucky. I change my mind lol thanks

Green wow all that from water?

x2xtreme360
10-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Ay steathee whats needed to remove abs i dont want it im trying to clean my engine bay as much as i can

Damn your lucky. I change my mind lol thanks

You can do the ABS delete by using a non ABS prop valve and lines. You could even just bend and flare them yourself if you want.

Assy
10-14-2010, 01:54 AM
You can do the ABS delete by using a non ABS prop valve and lines. You could even just bend and flare them yourself if you want.

How would i do this?

Polygon
10-15-2010, 06:10 PM
With some brake lines, fittings, a tube bender, and a flare tool.

green-lantern
10-15-2010, 06:56 PM

Yes, like Stealtee said I have had mine screw up just from running in the rain back when my car was NA and then the death of my piston rod happened when my wife ran it through a water puddle. The power gains just aren't worth the risk. Not even close.

I-AM-FURLONG
10-15-2010, 09:06 PM
My friend hydro-locked his engine recently due to the fact that his intake was too close to the ground. He supposedly went through a long deepish puddle on the freeway

stealthee
10-16-2010, 09:18 AM
The factory is not a CAI, its a FAI fresh air intake.

terrets
10-16-2010, 11:30 AM
I like when stealthee and steve68 disagree :) Its amusing.

Polygon
10-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Well, it seems you guys haven't heard of the SUPER CAI!

http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/Images/Funny/%23Demotivational%20Posters/Super%20CAI.jpg

terrets
10-17-2010, 02:13 PM
:lol: bitchin! I bet that adds like 1.5 hp! :)

dfoster101
10-17-2010, 08:53 PM

http://www.synapsepc.com/Hosting/Images/Funny/%23Demotivational%20Posters/Super%20CAI.jpg

that is totally hilarious

Assy
10-19-2010, 08:07 AM

working on that now :D haha correction 1.8 hp get it right next time jp :P

green-lantern
10-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Nothing screams “I’m a douche bag!” more than super cold air intake!