PDA

View Full Version : Rattle Can Touch Ups

x2percentmilk
10-11-2010, 11:19 PM
Anyone have any experience with rattle can touch up paint? Ive got a big gnarly mark on my passenger door and might be willing to try it. im not totally dissatisfied but it is embarrassing in the bright sunlight.
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s178/x2percentmilk/100_4107.jpg
not sure where it came from or how it was repaired, its flush with the paint, and underneath it there are some paint cracks starting to rust. also some small spots on that fender and side skirt.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp

Im not sure though, my experience with metallics and rattle cans has been pretty crappy so far. Color of the car is sandstone. If anything I just want it to end up better than it currently is, but if it ends up looking worse id be pretty pissed.

stealthee
10-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Rattle can touch ups NEVER match. My brother used to custom mix rattle can touch ups and his boss always told him to warn customers that it was not ever going to be a perfect match.

I tried telling this to a guy at work and he went ahead with it anyway on his Jetta. He painted a whole door and its a completely different shade even though he gave them the VIN and paint code.

x2percentmilk
10-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Thanks, thats all I needed. Time to start saving for a paint gun and some quality paint ;)

terrets
10-12-2010, 01:52 AM
Thanks, thats all I needed. Time to start saving for a paint gun and some quality paint ;)

Good idea :). I did rattle can on my bike...didnt look very good.

RL7
10-12-2010, 03:07 AM
I would recommend painting the whole panel rather than just trying to touch-up. Blending is kinda hard to do right, spraying a panel is easy. Always good to test spray something first (base and clear) to check the match. I sometimes use rattle cans just to make things look acceptable until I can really paint it. You will probably be able to make it look better with rattle cans, but I wouldn't go in with high expectations. -Also it won't last like real automotive paint.