PDA

View Full Version : A New Camera Decision

CoopKill
08-11-2014, 06:36 PM
I am in the market to upgrade my Nikon D80 soon. I thought I was dead set on the new D7100, but after watching close to 30 review/comparisons I am once again on the fence.

Keep in mind I have 5 lenses of which 2 were over $400 which is not a lot concidering what an FX quality lense goes for. Add up the five and I sit with around $1400 in Nikon lenses. (really want the 55-200 1.8!)

SO I found a competitor in the Canon 70D. I have owned 3 Canons in the past (all being G series). I liked them for what they were, and they really got me excided about learning photography so I have no fanboi prefference when it comes to brand.

There is a LOT of bias in comparisons of the two brands, and it took some time to find ones that were able to pull the mud slinging from the facts. This vid got me second guessing the decission I am about to make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOM4r1gxsbs

The main feature that has me stuck is the new focussing tech the 70D has. It is smooth, and brilliant! Especially for video, but does very well on scene recognition/tracking as well.

The D7100 I believe kills it in most other areas where there is a separation in quality. So what I must ponder is how much videography will I be doing, and it is worth the loss in selling the Nikon lenses, and investing in Canon lenses...

Any input on this?

NickS VR4
08-11-2014, 07:35 PM
Well, relatively speaking, your lens investment isn't too large. You can likely sell them and make up 70% of the cost.

I went with canon and love it, but I don't know if it'd be worth it for you to jump ship.

Generally those two are always neck and neck with each other, so if you wait, I'm sure Nikon will come up with a nice competitor.

Alan92RTTT
08-11-2014, 09:54 PM
Personally I would stick with Nikon.

I would bet if you take the money you would spend getting new lenses you could get a dedicated video camera that will do everything you need.

CoopKill
08-11-2014, 11:01 PM
Yeah that is true, and I do have a dedicated vid cam, but am lazy about using it. I usually ignore it in preference of the shutterbug.

GTO Assassin
08-13-2014, 07:58 AM
I bought the 70D recently and love it. Such a meaty chassis. The video is good and I LOVE the focus system on it especially shooting video.

I have never used a Nikon so I don't have any views there. I come from a Pentax back ground. try not to hold that against me. :)

Scooter

CoopKill
08-13-2014, 04:55 PM
Yeah all the footage of the focus system in video I have seen looks incredible. I have decided that I will stick with the Niko, unless the 70D hits me with a deal I can't refuse. I don't do enough vid to warrant the switch over. But damn that focus system!

CoopKill
03-17-2015, 01:52 PM
Well I got the Nikon... So far I am loving it. Still need to find time to play more, and read TFM. Very similar to my last, but on steroids. Looking forward to a dedicated day to shooting.

Alan92RTTT
03-17-2015, 03:59 PM
I have been looking at my upgrade. I feel looking at the 7000 series but have yet to find that thing I need. Last comparison I read compared the 5300, 5500 and the 7100 and based on that the 5500 is all I'd need.

CoopKill
03-17-2015, 04:39 PM
5500 is a great cam. There are a few things upgraded from it to the 7100, but if I had it there would not be enough to even consider the upgrade. Coming from a D80 is another story! :p

CoopKill
03-17-2015, 04:40 PM
Oh, I found a list of must have lenses for it that won't break the bank. I will list them when home if I remember.