PDA

View Full Version : 1999.5 Audi A4 1.8 T With APR Stage 3 Kit

VanDamned
10-07-2010, 08:59 PM

Sup guys?. This is my car. My blue SL you see in one of the pics was totaled, and I used the insurance money from that to buy my Step Father's Audi. The Audi is in great shape for the mileage (160K) and it is noticeably faster than my SL.

I have one simple question, is it worth it to take this car to the track and risk breaking it? My parents would murder me if they knew, so I have to pretty much lie about where I'm going to be tomorrow night if I decide to do this.

So again, is it really worth it? This car is my DD for College and Work. My Step Father really took care of this car.

gltasn
10-07-2010, 09:30 PM
your money, your car! i wouldnt race my car if it was a dd!

VanDamned
10-07-2010, 09:50 PM
What about the fact that it was my Step Fathers? I feel like it wouldn't be right "sneaking" up to the track to do this.

But at the same time, I want to see were my car is at in terms of 1/4 mile time and trap speed.

gltasn
10-07-2010, 11:03 PM
at 160k id keep her a chick magnet and keep it clean and nice. look on youtube for vids of a car like it doing a 1/4 mile and use that for reference and, save on the wear & tear on a high miles car.kinda hard to explaine a snapped timing belt(or anything freaky) and a tow from the dragsrtip.

VanDamned
10-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Good point gltasn. I actually managed to snap my accessory belt my first time at the track with my SL. Tried launching it like a VR-4, pretty dumb.

Even if I did go I won't be doing any 6K clutch dumps, maybe bring it up to 3K and ride the clutch a little and just see what it puts on the board.

Any other thoughts?

gltasn
10-08-2010, 12:28 AM
im the opposite. i built a car that can run 10's everyday and i wont take it to the track. i dont want to put the hard wear & tear on it or show off and fuck something up. i like to think i built a supercar and not a race car. dont get me wrong i enjoy the shit out of her and experience what she can do but, only did one 4500 clutch drop years ago and after 30 feet of all wheels smoking i was like, ok funs over, and have done it since.

DrkZide
10-08-2010, 12:53 PM
What bumper is that? I'm about to upgrade to an S4 bumper. The RS4 is too much work for my taste.

Austin@STM
10-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Im all for racing, but in this case it just doesnt sound like its worth it. Its not worth the issues that i could cause if it broke or if they found out.

VanDamned
10-08-2010, 03:09 PM
@ gltasn Damn dude burning all 4 tires?! What is your setup?

@ DrkZide It's an RS4 bumper. Friend of mine has a white 2000 S4 with the same bumper, looks sick. Pretty sure it was modified to make fit on the A4 front. Don't really know how involved the process is, had it done by a shop after a small front end collision my Step Pops got into.

@ Austin@STM You are right man it really isn't in my best interested to do this. Lets just say I do it anyway, knowing the risks, what do you suggest I do to give my self the best chance at not breaking anything. Like tips on launching and shifting. The car likes to "sputter" at high rpm's a little (Only thing I really noticed in terms of problems right now with the car).

Jimvr4
10-08-2010, 03:50 PM
My son has a 2000 A4. I've worked on it a few times already, putting on new brake pads, R&I the ABS unit after repair. IMO the car is not easy to work on. Rear brakes were a bitch to do since you need a special tool to adjust the parking brake mechanism. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot his driver's door regulator broke (it has plastic guides in it and it's riveted on to the frame. Parts aren't cheap. I wouldn't mod it unless you're prepared to spend money to fix it when it breaks. Especially since you said its your DD.

DrkZide
10-08-2010, 03:55 PM
@ DrkZide It's an RS4 bumper. Friend of mine has a white 2000 S4 with the same bumper, looks sick. Pretty sure it was modified to make fit on the A4 front. Don't really know how involved the process is, had it done by a shop after a small front end collision my Step Pops got into.

The RS4 is a wide body so the front bumper is wider. It normally involves heating and remolding the bumper to fit the width of an A4/S4.

I've worked on my wife's car and it doesn't seem much harder than the 3/S. Everything has a certain quirk to it.

Jimvr4
10-08-2010, 04:09 PM
The RS4 is a wide body so the front bumper is wider. It normally involves heating and remolding the bumper to fit the width of an A4/S4.

I've worked on my wife's car and it doesn't seem much harder than the 3/S. Everything has a certain quirk to it.

Yeah, IDK about that. The ABS unit was such a pain in the A$$ to get out of there. It's tucked into the corner of the engine bay but you have to remove the driver's side wheel, remove wheel liner, empty and remove the washer bottle and THEN you can get enough room to get to the bolts to the ABS unit. And the ABS unit failure is a fairly common problem that dealers want like $1500 to fix. We found a guy with a small business of rebuilding them for about $150.

VanDamned
10-08-2010, 09:13 PM
My son has a 2000 A4. I've worked on it a few times already, putting on new brake pads, R&I the ABS unit after repair. IMO the car is not easy to work on. Rear brakes were a bitch to do since you need a special tool to adjust the parking brake mechanism. Oh, yeah, I almost forgot his driver's door regulator broke (it has plastic guides in it and it's riveted on to the frame. Parts aren't cheap. I wouldn't mod it unless you're prepared to spend money to fix it when it breaks. Especially since you said its your DD.

My driver's door regulator is also broken lol.

Isn't that the same, though, with any car? (If you mod it, you need to have the cash to fix it, when, not if it breaks)

Thanks for the input.

I ended up taking it to the track tonight. Epic failure. 5.5Sec 60FT. 15.8 at 85. :o

Jimvr4
10-08-2010, 11:38 PM
My driver's door regulator is also broken lol.

Isn't that the same, though, with any car? (If you mod it, you need to have the cash to fix it, when, not if it breaks)

Thanks for the input.

I ended up taking it to the track tonight. Epic failure. 5.5Sec 60FT. 15.8 at 85. :o

The regulator job sux because you have to drill out four rivets and then you should install 4 new rivets. I bought a rivet gun and got three to go in but the fourth one was a bi*ch so I ended up using a tapping screw instead. It's a little tricky to reassemble and get the window recalibrated.

Your time is not bad. Do you have the 180bhp version or the 150bhp? I think both are 1.8 turbos.

DocWalt
10-09-2010, 10:26 AM
5.5 second 60ft including the R/T, or no?

Nice looking car, I hope you can get all the issues worked out and enjoy it :)

O_ROD
10-09-2010, 10:49 AM
It's a beauty car, I wouldn't risk it with that mileage and the fact that you obviously would feel guilty about it. Enjoy cruising!

VanDamned
10-09-2010, 01:15 PM
@ Jimvr4 The time is bad considering the car should be making 280hp and 300tq with the turbo kit it has. With a good launch I think this car is good for 13's.

@ DocWalt Yes that includes the reaction time. I was focused on going when the light went green instead of making sure to launch it properly. Yes, I am a newb.

@ O_ROD Thanks man this car really is nice in person. Honestly I do feel guilty, and I am worrying they may hear from someone that I went. Haha I should have gone with my first instinct and stayed away from the track in the first place. No more 1/4th runs for me.

DocWalt
10-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Ha, don't worry about it dude. I ran some abysmal times at the track, don't sweat it. It's better than breaking it :D

stealthee
10-09-2010, 03:18 PM
60' doesn't include R/T. The time doesn't start til you break the beams. When you break the beams to when you hit the 60' determines your 60'. Two completely seperate times.

DocWalt
10-09-2010, 03:22 PM
60' doesn't include R/T. The time doesn't start til you break the beams. When you break the beams to when you hit the 60' determines your 60'. Two completely seperate times.

Yeah, I was asking if he added them. 5.5 is high, but like I said, it's better than breaking stuff, lol.

stealthee
10-09-2010, 03:35 PM
If he got the number right off his slip then its not added. Going by his postings I would say he is a little inexperienced.

VanDamned
10-09-2010, 03:40 PM
@ DocWalt Yeah man I really had no place even being there, the whole time I was thinking "shit, I hope I don't break something".

@ Stealthee I originally thought that's how it went with the beams, but idk for some reason I wasn't thinking clearly last night and was just trying to GO right when the light went green. All day people kept telling me, "wait till the 2nd yellow light and dump the clutch and you will launch perfect". I wasn't trying to race anyone, next time I will just sit at the green light and prep myself and make sure I launch the car properly.

I'd love to have a VR-4 as a weekend warrior/track car in the future. And have a DD like this Audi.

VanDamned
10-09-2010, 03:42 PM
If he got the number right off his slip then its not added. Going by his postings I would say he is a little inexperienced.

Inexperienced is probably a good word, I agree. I have the slips in my car I'll have to look at them again.

PearlWhiteR/T
10-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Sweet car man. Gotta take it to the track atleast once or twice lol... I wouldn't push it to much after that. If it's your DD after all you take care of her.

If it's a true stage III then it would have the turbo upgrade, injectors, etc. So 280bhp atleast right? Be a decently fast car if that's the case.

VanDamned
10-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Yeah dude from what I can tell it has the GT28 turbo, exhaust manifold, downpipe, high flow cat, cat-back, and yeah I think it's the legit stage 3 so it must have the injectors.

I read somewhere that it should be good for close to 220 whp.