PDA

View Full Version : TD05 Turbocharger Gaskets sizes

Patryn
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
Just a quick question or maybe a few. I have MHI Big 16G's, however the gasket for the turbine/O2 housing is slightly smaller than the opening. Which is the correct one to get? Also noticed on Ebay the cometic copper gaskets for the manifold/turbine housing. Any thoughts on copper vs the SS ones that are on there now?

Mean Green
10-06-2010, 11:30 PM
The gasket should not protrude to the inside of the turbine housing.

I personally prefer copper gaskets and I always put copper spray on any turbo gaskets whether they are new / used / copper / or any other material but that's just me.

Patryn
10-06-2010, 11:40 PM
As a side note do any of you find it benificial to ceramic coat the turbine housings?

TurboSinceBirth
10-07-2010, 12:13 AM
As a side note do any of you find it benificial to ceramic coat the turbine housings?

Yes. I wish I would have done mine. It will lower the engine bay temperatures although how much I can't quantify, but they won't put off as much heat. Plus, they look much better too. :) After sitting exposed to the air for a few months mine have rusted on the car. :( They look out of place now because of the rust and I wish I would have spent the money for ceramic coating for both the looks and lower temperatures coming off the turbine housings. My manifolds are ceramic coating so they're not rusting. I want to say it's only $150 to have an exhaust housing ceramic coated which isn't too bad. It may be $200 but I know it's somewhere around there.

Mean Green
10-07-2010, 12:20 AM
Just use VHT spray. If it is cured correctly it works just the same. I used to powder coat and ceramic coat, did it on and off for a few years.

TurboSinceBirth
10-07-2010, 12:25 AM
Just use VHT spray. If it is cured correctly it works just the same. I used to powder coat and ceramic coat, did it on and off for a few years.

So when you followed the heating and cooling cycling recommended in the instructions it never flaked off on you at all? I had a friend that used VHT flameproof on his truck headers and about 2 years later some of it is peeling off. He followed the instructions but maybe he didn't get it prepped good enough. I don't know.

Mean Green
10-07-2010, 12:46 AM
The key is the prep work. It basically ceramic in a spray can. If the part is not 100% free of any contaminants it is going to act like paint and not stick or eventually peal off. I used VHT on a set of tubular headers on my old KA't I had in my 240...ran it for a while and never had a problem other than it fading over a long period of time. I also sandblasted them and put them through a chemical bath.

Also, I have all my heat shields on my Vr4 Ceramic Coated and I've obviously had to remove them many time's....soo I'll use VHT to touch up scrap marks, never had a problem with that either but they where prepped the same way.

Austin@STM
10-07-2010, 02:38 AM
16g's use the 7cm gasket http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/7cm_turbine_inlet.htm

-Austin@STM

BaadVR4
10-07-2010, 08:06 AM
He's looking for the other gasket, the one between the turbine outlet and the O2 housing.

Austin@STM
10-07-2010, 09:13 AM
He's looking for the other gasket, the one between the turbine outlet and the O2 housing.

Sorry, heres the one you want for that.
http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/parts/evo3_o2_gasket.htm

Patryn
10-08-2010, 05:41 PM
http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_viewItemBundle.asp?idProduct=29343 I think this was what I was going for, the slightly larger than OEM gaskets. On the O2 housing gasket you could see where it needed to be just a little bit larger in diameter than the ones I had. With that said I looked at some of the cometic copper gaskets and they appeared to be the same diameter as the non-oem gaskets I needed, so going to give those a try.