PDA

View Full Version : Clear(wire) 4G WiMAX

blindmist
10-06-2010, 06:42 PM
So I have an account with Clear here in Lubbock. I never used it when I first got it because of a situation with an ex.

Regardless, I received a phone call from Clear asking if I wanted to upgrade my account and they would uncap it. I am assuming the were only offering this because I literally had maybe 100mb transfer over the 3 months that I had it at this time.

So now I am at 13.1MBPS vs. 6MBPS, I also got the USB modem thrown in there for free. I am paying a total of $54 month at the end of it all.

They are really shooting themselves in the foot now. Each month for the past 3 I have had 100+GB worth of transfer. :lol:

Gotta love contracts...

IPD
10-06-2010, 08:41 PM
nice. wimax ftw.

UTRacerX9
10-06-2010, 10:51 PM
I thought about going with them, but couldn't find too much info on them locally. One guy did a review, said he was getting about 5mb download at home, for $55 a month, and he also had the mobile option too. I went with TimeWarnerCable... I can't stand them, but you can't beat cable internet bang for the buck. I get 13-15mb for $30 a month.

blindmist
10-07-2010, 12:46 AM
I thought about going with them, but couldn't find too much info on them locally. One guy did a review, said he was getting about 5mb download at home, for $55 a month, and he also had the mobile option too. I went with TimeWarnerCable... I can't stand them, but you can't beat cable internet bang for the buck. I get 13-15mb for $30 a month.

Well when you consider MOBILE 13MBPS for $55 its fucking great!

I don't know how you can get the uncapped as a new customer though... I am the only Clear customer that I know of that has 13.1MBPS

UTRacerX9
10-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Yeah, most of the reviews I saw (only one local review in my area with the 5mb download) said they get between 3-4mb. Honestly, that's probably fast enough for most web stuff, but it definitely isn't fast enough for online gaming, which I may do on occasion. I saw a lot of complaints about dropped connections and stuff too, I think I may reevaluate in a year or so after they've put up more towers. Apparently there was supposed to be a tower about a half mile from my new house, but the neighborhood forced them to move it somewhere else.

blindmist
10-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, most of the reviews I saw (only one local review in my area with the 5mb download) said they get between 3-4mb. Honestly, that's probably fast enough for most web stuff, but it definitely isn't fast enough for online gaming, which I may do on occasion. I saw a lot of complaints about dropped connections and stuff too, I think I may reevaluate in a year or so after they've put up more towers. Apparently there was supposed to be a tower about a half mile from my new house, but the neighborhood forced them to move it somewhere else.

I have a friend that has a 6MBPS account and gets a steady 4.8MBPS. If you do make the switch, you should see if you can get it uncapped. I really have no idea how one would go about getting the to uncap it. Like I said, I got offered a deal from them over the phone. I originally had the 6MBPS plan, I think they only upgraded me to "rip" me off more because they thought I wouldn't use it because I hadn't for the 3 months I already paid for it.