PDA

View Full Version : Smoking when spooling

Atrosity
10-04-2010, 10:21 PM
Now the guy who told me this seemed to be exaggerating A LOT. He first said that my car smoked after shifting now he changed what he said and saw smoke when spooling and according to him it was five feet tall, I did not notice the smoke and I did not smell it. I could swear this was not a plume of smoke, I probably would have noticed it. After this I checked all the inlets and outlets of the turbos and not a single drop of oil was in there..

Could the seals on the exhaust side of the turbos gone bad?

Note: I am pretty sure I have a crappy pcv valve or that is what I am suspecting. I also do not have a cat on.

Hans@GZP
10-05-2010, 11:48 AM
You can get a puff of smoke between shifts. If you get excessive smoke on decel, then that is an exhaust seal.

Atrosity
10-05-2010, 12:11 PM
You can get a puff of smoke between shifts. If you get excessive smoke on decel, then that is an exhaust seal.

I wouldn't be surprised. ;)

However I did not see any smoke today at all, starting to think he is full of shit.

mh3kgt
10-05-2010, 02:07 PM
I've noticed recently that I have some smoke on decel as well. Not huge amounts, but a little puff. I'm seriously hoping it's not turbo seals, since the turbos only have 1K miles on them in the first place. There's no oil in the IC pipes from what I can tell, but I have some in the rear pre turbo pipe right after the bubble. Sound like PCV or something? I'm kinda thinking it could be VSS on the front head since I swapped it over from my old motor. Not to threadjack, but is there any way to check for sure whether it's turbo exhaust seals or PCV/VSS?

Mean Green
10-06-2010, 05:29 AM
My car would have black smoke come out but that was because it was burning rich...a friend had mistaken it for oil before and said my car smokes when it starts to boost.

Edit: I don't / didn't have cats either.

green-lantern
10-06-2010, 06:26 AM

This

I have plenty of experience with exhaust seals going bad :(. Drop the downpipe to check the exhaust seals.

mh3kgt
10-06-2010, 01:53 PM
Are you just looking for a coating of oil in the precats when you suspect exhaust seals leaking?

Atrosity
10-06-2010, 04:03 PM
I am still not seeing any smoke trails in my rear view mirror after watching it for an hour of driving, starting to think this guy who was telling me this is a dumbass....

green-lantern
10-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Are you just looking for a coating of oil in the precats when you suspect exhaust seals leaking?

Yeah, you will find one bank wet with oil unless both are bad.

mh3kgt
10-06-2010, 04:41 PM
Damn, wish I would have thought to check them when the DP was off for the clutch last weekend...oh well only a few bolts and it can be off again. I am seeing a little oil around the rear turbo pipe above where the O-ring seats...that's probably a bad sign correct? Could that possibly be from a bad PCV system? I'm hoping it's something simple as I dont wanna do VSS already, but I don't wanna rebuild brand new turbos either :(