PDA

View Full Version : Chrome ECU for TT conversion

n2nsanity
09-03-2013, 10:43 AM
I haven't seen anything specific for this, so thought I'd create a thread. I'm still working with mine and haven't quite figured it out yet. Hopefully this will be helpful for anyone else that does a TT conversion and is considering going the Chrome route.

I bought one of Adam's ECU's that no longer need the harness adapter. That was the main selling point for me. Plugged it in and it worked perfectly right out of the box. Car fired right up and ran pretty smooth.

But, after a minute or so the CEL's come pouring in, lol. This isn't due to a problem with the ecu, but the fact that it is a basically a 99 ROM and it's looking for all kinds of sensors that don't exist on my car. I installed this ecu in a 94 fed spec n/a as the ecu for my tt conversion. This car has a single narrowband o2 sensor right before the main catalytic converter. I also did a complete vac reduction and egr delete, so I don't have any of that stuff either.

I would like to wire up a single wideband o2, but that won't happen for a while. For now, I just want to get the car running as safely as possible with what I have at the moment.

n2nsanity
09-03-2013, 10:58 AM
On to the tuning stuff....

I have ECUflash which is free and EvoScan which was only $25 or so. The Tactrix OpenPort 2.0 adapter was the expensive part at $200.

I've read through most of the documentation out there, but haven't quite figured it out yet. I know I can turn off the CEL's for all the missing sensors my car doesn't have, but I want to make sure I'm doing this right and not just simply turning off the light.

green-lantern
09-03-2013, 11:45 AM
Are you using the NA harness unmodified?

Greg E
09-04-2013, 09:06 AM
As I said on Facebook, disable all the periphery bits in 2 and 3. You will then need to clear your ECUs memory to clear the codes.

Since you're only running one o2 sensor you'll need to disable bit 2 of periphery 0. This will make closed loop function with your single narrowband. Make sure it's wired into the rear 02 pin. Not sure which pin that is on your harness.

n2nsanity
09-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Yeah, I'm using the fed spec n/a harness (untouched)

Really appreciate it Greg, I'll look at this again. The naming conventions in there are a little confusing to me. I assume from logging with evoscan, I can figure out which pin it's on?

Greg E
09-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Yes45

green-lantern
09-04-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah, I'm using the fed spec n/a harness (untouched)

Really appreciate it Greg, I'll look at this again. The naming conventions in there are a little confusing to me. I assume from logging with evoscan, I can figure out which pin it's on?

I'm pretty sure you still need to modify the harness some even with the changes Greg mentioned. You definitely need the injector resistors.

Pretty sure you have seen theses but I'll post them anyway.

A Guide for connecting a 1G TT ECU to a 1G/2G NA harness - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center (http://www.3si.org/forum/f53/guide-connecting-1g-tt-ecu-1g-2g-na-harness-384389/)

It looks like he deleted the wiring diagram picture :(

please confirm where resistors go - 3000GT/Stealth International Message Center (http://www.3si.org/forum/f53/please-confirm-where-resistors-go-460321/)

http://www.3sgto.org/upgrade-time-turbos-supercharger/292-tt-conversion-link-thread.html

n2nsanity
09-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I did the resistors a while ago. According to the evoscan logs and talking with Greg, the rear primary is what is connected.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but couldn't find info on how to turn bits off and on. It didn't like anything I tried to type in.

I did figure out I was able to copy the "Off" setting from one bit and paste it to another and also the "Enabled" setting where needed. It would only let me do them one at a time, so that was tedious. Is this copy & paste method safe?

Anyway, I edited my ROM and saved as a new copy... scared to upload it still, lol.

*Edit, the proper way to change the values is to use "-" or "+" on the keyboard. I read a good bit of info and don't remember seeing that anywhere. The copy & paste method seems to work fine also.

n2nsanity
09-04-2013, 09:51 PM
Also, what do I do with this cable?

Looks like a 3.5mm audio, but I assume it's for power.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2z87m9f.jpg

Just don't want brick this thing.

*Edit, yes this is the power booster cable. (only needed when flashing as far as I know)

n2nsanity
09-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Well, I found some of the missing pieces of the puzzle, lol. Talked to Greg some more and it makes more sense now.

Couldn't locate the flash port that should be somewhere near the obdII port. That's because it was only on 98/99 models I believe.
http://i41.tinypic.com/ojgs5f.jpg

Extra parts were supplied for this, but I think I'm still missing one of the plastic connectors. I can make it work like this for now, but it just won't be as secure.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2cwqwlu.jpg
*Gray connector goes to ecu. Other end appears to be missing a connector, but I was still able to connect it without it (as seen in pic above).

On to the other issues.... get this error when I launch ecuflash

"error loading FTD2XX.DLL"

Close app, plug in tactrix, same error.
Reinstalled ecuflash with the cable connected, still same error.
Do I need to manually register this dll? Running windows 8 pro x64

*Update
Installed a virtual machine of xp pro 32bit on the laptop.
Installed evoscan and ecuflash to a different directory on the c drive.
This dll error goes away.
I'm not sure if it's a 64bit problem or install path.

n2nsanity
09-11-2013, 11:47 PM
Anyone have ideas on why ecuflash still can't read the rom from the ecu?
I don't think the booster cable is needed to read it, which would rule out being on the wrong pin.
I can log with evoscan over the tactrix, so that tells me that the tactrix and driver are both fine.
Unless ecuflash uses a different version of the driver than evoscan and I somehow messed that up.

n2nsanity
09-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Doing some reading on the evo forums, someone said they were having similar issues and verified that they needed the booster cable to read the ecu.
So I'm thinking it's possible I have my power booster wire on the wrong pin?

Have it on the bottom left pin of the 3rd connector. No sleeve for pictures purposes.

n2nsanity
09-25-2013, 04:17 AM
Wow! Turns out I misinterpreted the info on chromedecu.org or didn't quite understand the full meaning of me having a 1g pnp ecu. I was going off the pinout for 94-97 instead of 91-93. So all this time I was trying to flash with the booster wire on pin 57, when it really needed to be on pin 51 (the one right above 57).

Anyway, I was FINALLY able to flash my ecu. CEL's are off and I'll take it for a test drive tomorrow :)

n2nsanity
10-05-2013, 09:57 PM
400 miles later, she's doing pretty good. CEL on knock feature is pretty awesome too.
I'm going to give it another month or so before I start doing any actual tuning on it.