PDA

View Full Version : Car will run for 5 seconds then shut off

Nomad
07-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Hi
I just installed a Cloned ECU and a Montero Maf. A little background first. I was driving on the highway a week ago and decided to do a 3rd gear pull. The car started sputtering and wouldn't idle at all. I disconnected the Maf and voila, limped it to my friends shop. I initially thought that I blew an intercooler pipe but couldn't find any leaks. The mechanic suggested that the mass air flow sensor was to blame because of a crappy Ebay air filter the previous owner had installed. This had happened before. All I did was buy a can of Maf cleaner and the car ran great again, but not this time. Fast forward 3 days ago when I received my Montero Maf and adapter from Adam. I installed it and the Cloned Ecu. Changed the settings for the Maf as per the post on this site. Burned the Rom and nothing. Car is basically doing the same thing. I start it, it runs for a few seconds. Sometimes 10 seconds sometimes 5, pretty random then shuts off. But if I disconnect the Maf, the car runs great(I've tuned the limp home mode). I've attached 2 logs. 1 with the Maf disconnected the other is with it connected. Need some help figuring out whats wrong. Thank you

RealMcCoy
07-26-2013, 11:19 PM
Is your fuel pump hotwired? or still the stock system?

Nomad
07-26-2013, 11:25 PM
Is your fuel pump hotwired? or still the stock system?

It's stock.

RealMcCoy
07-26-2013, 11:49 PM
Check if the fuel pump is losing power... If so, bypass the fuel pump relay. (commonly referred to as the resistor bypass) Stealth 316 - Fuel Pump Relay/Resistor Bypass (http://www.stealth316.com/2-fuelpumprelaybypass.htm)

Nomad
07-27-2013, 12:33 AM
Car runs fine with the mass air flow sensor disconnected.

RealMcCoy
07-27-2013, 12:50 AM
Car runs fine with the mass air flow sensor disconnected.

I know.. That is precisely why I recommended that line of testing...

The ECU waits until it sees low airflow before commanding low voltage to the fuel pump... Unplug the sensor and that never happens.

Alex3000gt
07-27-2013, 02:14 PM
Always gets me when people come to the forums asking for help diagnosing an issue - then refuse to take the advice.

Kid, get out to your car, start diagnosing and report back.

Nomad
07-27-2013, 05:08 PM
I was not refusing to take the advice. Just thought he might of missed that. I have been trying to diagnose the problem without luck. Thats why I'm here. Meant no disrespect. I definitely will be doing as RealMcCoy advised and report back. Thanks again for your time.

Nomad
07-27-2013, 11:47 PM
Problem solved. Thank you very much. As soon as I bypassed it the car ran perfectly. The RealMcCoy indeed. Lol

Alex3000gt
07-28-2013, 11:55 PM
Problem solved. Thank you very much. As soon as I bypassed it the car ran perfectly. The RealMcCoy indeed. Lol

Glad the forum was able to help, now go enjoy the car. Be sure to click that big *thanks* button under McCoy's post.

Alex