PDA

View Full Version : NG13 AutoX Rankings

Uniuno
07-14-2013, 10:27 PM
Bob already posted a thread with all the Dyno results. I was wondering if we could compile the rankings for AutoX with the class breakdowns. I may be premature making this thread but I'm excited to know the standings!

95gto
07-15-2013, 12:09 PM
Bob already posted a thread with all the Dyno results. I was wondering if we could compile the rankings for AutoX with the class breakdowns. I may be premature making this thread but I'm excited to know the standings!

Alan or Bob will publish the info, it will just take a little while.

Alan92RTTT
07-15-2013, 01:25 PM
The info will be available shortly after I get home. I got the data uploaded but the page is broken.

Alan92RTTT
07-16-2013, 12:19 PM
3S National Gathering 2013 Registration (http://www.3sng.org/signup/autocross.php)

Uniuno
07-16-2013, 10:54 PM
Thanks Alan! Would you mind listing the Class specs? I forget the differences between some of the classes.

Alan92RTTT
07-17-2013, 01:35 AM
http://www.3sgto.org/3s-national-gathering/7946-2012-3s-ng-autocross-class-matrix.html

95gto
07-18-2013, 10:17 AM
3S National Gathering 2013 Registration (http://www.3sng.org/signup/autocross.php)

What was up with car #118?

Alan92RTTT
07-18-2013, 10:19 AM
Dan registered on site so the data in the registration system is wrong. IIRC he was class 2. Just one a few things I need to fix on that page.

95gto
07-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Dan registered on site so the data in the registration system is wrong. IIRC he was class 2. Just one a few things I need to fix on that page.

Okay, thanks.

93STLTH
08-08-2013, 05:07 PM
I'd like to request that you guys reconsider the classes for next year's autocross. Putting TT cars with stock suspensions in the same class with NA cars with modified suspensions, and then designing a course with at least 2 significant straight sections, puts the NA cars at a huge disadvantage. If the course is going to be tight, with a lot of turns and no long straight sections, then fine, an NA with a racing suspension will be able to hold his own against a stock TT, but once you give a TT a chance to use his accelerating advantage, the playing field is no longer level.
These cars are old, and racing them causes a lot of abuse to their 20+ year old suspension components. If I had known I would have to beat TT cars in autocross, I wouldn't have bothered to even run. Better to save the wear and tear on the car than to run it hard with no chance of winning.

Alan92RTTT
08-08-2013, 06:15 PM
Tom the average time in class 2 was 1:38 Your worst time was a 1:36

You were only 4 seconds off the 1st place car. The other FWD in class 2 was only 2 seconds off 1st place.

I plan to have a review some of the things that break down the classes but we have 5 classes right now we can't really justify adding more.

anyonebutme
08-08-2013, 07:08 PM
[edit]: Disclaimer: The following post is blunt. Don't read it if your don't want my opinion.

First thought: there were no straights in this year's autoX.

Honestly, if that was your concern on the track this year, AutoX [any motorsport] isn't the sport for you. When you show up at SCCA Nat's, sometimes you're greeted with a "miata course" and sometimes a "corvette course", but I don't think I've ever met someone who thought that it wasn't worth their time because it causes abuse on their cars. Yes I realize your car is a show car and is at a disadvantage to start with.....but I don't go complaining that we should change the car show judging criteria due to my car being a giant POS built strictly for racing. We changed the classing system due to having some classes with only 1-3 cars in them. Nobody wants guaranteed trophies, because you can't earn them. If attendance was larger and we had a larger budget to work with, I could further separate the classes, and have a separate structure for FWD vs AWD.

There were several reasons the course was laid out the way it was this year, but none of them would help here. As far as the classing structure, looking at the distribution of AWD cars to FWD cars, looks damn even for such a wide spaced class limited down to 5 groups.

I've seen your autoX vid, HP did not lose you 1st place. I highly suggest finding an experienced driver like Nate Klein, Dan Dillon, or Dave Broomfield, ect, to ride along and give tips and pointers. All the racers are a friendly bunch and are always up for ride-alongs and giving pointers. I personally rode in 4-5 different cars that day, and it was almost to the point of not removing my helmet during my entire run group. BTW, there was at least a half second if not a full second just in your line on the "back straight" section with the alternating offset gates. The section after is an easy half sec. Your entry into the slalom was delayed, ect.

95gto
08-09-2013, 10:59 AM
Tom I can appreciate your frustration and we will review the classes to see if we have some better options for moving certain car setups around. That being said, this class system was designed to try and make things as competitive as possible across the board, for both modified and unmodified cars. We looked at the potential miss-matches and did our best to elminate them. And we specifically used Auto-X results from previous NG's to try address any holes in the system. The concern I have is that moving a car from one class to another will potentially create miss-matches in the other direction, and surprisingly power level isn't the main driving factor in competitive auto-x times as suspension, weight, and grip have a bigger impact on lap times.

With regard to not knowing your competition, I am fairly certain (and Alan can confirm this) that the NG registration process had the class breakdown clearly outlined, so there is no reason you didn't know exactly the range of your competitive class. And though the track layout is a surprise for the competitors, we have been making the courses more open for the last 3 years and if anything this layout was a bit tighter than last year when it comes to straight sections.

Ultimately the committee really wants to make the event fun for everyone and I personally want to make this event fun for everyone. Anyone that knows me knows I am tiny bit competitive and the potential 'knife to a gun fight' match ups are why I approached the committee about instituting more detailed class breakdowns in the first place.

So please be aware that your concern will be seriousely reviewed and we will see what we can do. Suggestions like this are why we ask for feedback every year at the banquet, so I do also want to thank you for speaking up.

vroom4
08-09-2013, 11:44 AM
Once you figure the classing out, maybe you should write in to the SEB and help them figure out the SCCA classing.

:lol7: This is an impossible discussion. Without a field of 100% prepped cars you can NEVER make fair classes.

Maximal
08-09-2013, 11:46 AM
To narrow down the competition confusion maybe we should put the class number on the windshields/side windows during that day?

Alan92RTTT
08-09-2013, 11:47 AM
I believe a letter / number was added to the car's rear window in tech

95gto
08-09-2013, 02:30 PM
I believe a letter / number was added to the car's rear window in tech

Yes, we verified that their mods matched their registered class and then added the class number. The window marker was going dead so the markings weren't super bold but they were there.

Maximal
08-09-2013, 02:41 PM
Sounds like you're ahead of me then. I knew in Indy that was one thing that was a bit tricky, trying to find out who you had to compete against. Of course, I was typically just trying to beat Dan so....