PDA

View Full Version : android is wire tapping you without a warrant

Mikes2nd
10-01-2010, 12:00 PM
You didn't say yes... but your still being tracked by all those apps, gps, phone numbers, etc...

Were talking everything :)

http://www.switched.com/2010/10/01/some-android-quietly-sending-gps-coordinates-to-advertisers/

ictponder
10-01-2010, 12:45 PM
It's not really fair to say that Google is at fault as they don't make the apps. These apps are created by 3rd party sources while Google has already stated they do not wish to put extensive security on the devices, which is good. However, I believe that if an app is reported to abuse certain privacy violations then Google should remove their app from the market.

Atrosity
10-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Open Source is not always a good thing. :)

DocWalt
10-01-2010, 02:02 PM
When you install an app it tells you what it does security wise (tells you if it uses GPS, data, system functions such as keeping the screen on, etc) and you have to agree to that to install the app. Not a security concern, unless you're a blithering idiot.

ictponder
10-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Not all of the apps in this experiment include collection of data in the terms of use. One of the tested apps was found to send your info immediately after install before the first use even.

Mikes2nd
10-01-2010, 02:20 PM
When you install an app it tells you what it does security wise (tells you if it uses GPS, data, system functions such as keeping the screen on, etc) and you have to agree to that to install the app. Not a security concern, unless you're a blithering idiot.

reading is fundamental

While we understand that Google doesn't wish to throw up unnecessary roadblocks, or irritate users with constant permission dialogs, perhaps the company should require that an app display an explicit warning whenever it plans to send private data to third parties..

Making matters worse, those 15 didn't actually inform end-users that data was being shared, and some of 'em beamed out information while applications were dormant.

why does solitaire and blackjack need to hack your info? :)

DocWalt
10-01-2010, 02:55 PM
FWIW, the article says that the apps warned users in the exact way I mentioned, but didn't say that the info they were collecting was being shared. The security form I'm speaking of doesn't say what the apps do with the data, or GPS, w/e, but that the app uses it. If someone downloads a Blackjack app and doesn't notice that it's using their GPS coordinates, they're stupid :p I can take a screencap of a security screen example if you'd like, it's hard to explain what I mean.

I agree with a warning that they're sharing your info with third parties, but it's like a virus scanner on a computer. If you're not stupid, you don't need it :)

green-lantern
10-01-2010, 04:34 PM
I don't like any of it. All cell phones have GPS, any of those games on facebook can basically take all of your info/pics. We are giving up our privacy for technology.

Lithium
10-01-2010, 04:39 PM
Ive had an android phone since the G1 came out, I never cared to what they track because I have nothing to hind.

green-lantern
10-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Ive had an android phone since the G1 came out, I never cared to what they track because I have nothing to hind.

OK, could you please post up your full name, address, SSN, credit card number, date of birth and debit card number with pin?

Lithium
10-01-2010, 04:57 PM
aside from my name, none of that info could be found in my phone. They could possible find my address with GPS based on how long I stay in one location but what good what that do them? They could send me junk mail, what a pain........

green-lantern
10-01-2010, 05:10 PM
Have you ever paid bills on the phone, checked bank account or bought something? I guarantee with all the info they can collect somebody could get your identity easier. My point is just because you haven't done anything illegal doesn't mean your info can't be used against you. At the very least spam the hell out of you.

Lithium
10-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I understand your point but I actually have never used my phone for buying anything, not even an app (google check out). I dont even use any google powered roms on my phone so most of the OTA apps will not work with my droid. Like others have said before you can dictate what an app can and cannot do easily. If people arnt comfortable with the cons of have having such an open source OS then they should get an Iphone.

green-lantern
10-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Do you read the conditions? Be honest! I really don't know anybody that does.

HilbillyHomeboy
10-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Agreed with Lithium, there's nothing on my droid2 that's going to do anyone any good. Yes, I do read the agreements and the security notices. The apps I have told me they were going to mine gps and what not. No big deal to me.

I don't conduct any business of any sort on my phone. That's what the PC is for. :)

Jeremy

onebadmollafolla
10-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Agreed with Lithium, there's nothing on my droid2 that's going to do anyone any good. Yes, I do read the agreements and the security notices. The apps I have told me they were going to mine gps and what not. No big deal to me.

I don't conduct any business of any sort on my phone. That's what the PC is for. :)

Jeremy

Lucky for you, I've been keeping an eye on your calls/texts.

Lithium
10-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Do you read the conditions? Be honest! I really don't know anybody that does.

No I don't read all the conditions and I'm sure if the right person wanted to mess with me they easily could. But then again the right person would know of more important things to attack rather then my phone.