PDA

View Full Version : Just a couple of flash questions...

usmceric1
05-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Okay, I have read the above threads on flash tuning. Not totally 100% on it. Not at least until I actually do it. First thing I am going to do is get my throttle body rebuilt. Better to be safe than sorry.
Anyways, alot of what I am reading pertains to a chrome ECU. Do I need this if I already have a 98? I know Chrome comes with a 99 ROM. So are there any steps I can just skip?
What I would really like is for me to be able to take my ECU out, fill out a worksheet and mail it in to be tuned. SOOOOO much easier. I guess I am just getting antsy listening to my neighbor with a Camaro SS. I am hoping someday that when this catches on big time, that a mail in option would become available. I would pay good money for it.
At any rate I want to thank all the people who have come up with this option for our cars. Thanks for the time and effort you put into it. Just a little daunting for me.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
05-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Greg does do email tunes, but you are still going to have to do logs for him. He may or may not be willing to do a mail in tune for you, but it would have to be pretty conservative if he did.

Your genuine 98 vr4 ecu will work perfect, but you will need a tactrix 2.0 cable to tune the ecu at all in the car.

Greg E
05-30-2013, 09:22 AM
Remind me, didn't we talk last year at ECG? I remember a guy with a 98 identical to mine sitting at the table with Ray, Jason and me.

I could have you send me your ECU for a flash and I can give it a basic tune but I can't promise it'll be the best setup for your particular car. It'll be better than stock though. :)

Shoot me a PM and we can discuss it.

TwIzTeD_3kGt
05-30-2013, 07:35 PM
Okay, I have read the above threads on flash tuning. Not totally 100% on it. Not at least until I actually do it. First thing I am going to do is get my throttle body rebuilt. Better to be safe than sorry.
Anyways, alot of what I am reading pertains to a chrome ECU. Do I need this if I already have a 98? I know Chrome comes with a 99 ROM. So are there any steps I can just skip?
What I would really like is for me to be able to take my ECU out, fill out a worksheet and mail it in to be tuned. SOOOOO much easier. I guess I am just getting antsy listening to my neighbor with a Camaro SS. I am hoping someday that when this catches on big time, that a mail in option would become available. I would pay good money for it.
At any rate I want to thank all the people who have come up with this option for our cars. Thanks for the time and effort you put into it. Just a little daunting for me.

Did you watch those intro to ECUflash videos in the link on the one thread? Those videos really made everything "click" for me.

HLxDrummer
05-31-2013, 10:02 PM
If you buy the Tactrix cable and Evoscan you should be set. (Assuming you have a wideband/boost gauge/etc)

Even if you had Greg make you something I would still try to learn how it works yourself. It will make future problems easier to diagnose, you will understand the car better, and you will be able to tweak the tune if needed.

Good luck and have fun!