PDA

View Full Version : Drivetrain Jacks Transmissions??

EvanH
09-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Anyone personally had a trans rebuilt from them? I went kormex the first, and last time I feel, so I was wondering about them instead.

MADMarc
09-30-2010, 10:24 AM
I'm curious to see what other people's experiences have been with them. Any leaks? Whining? Initial or long term problems?

Fakepower
09-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Ok I had my trans, transfer case, and rear end rebuilt by jacks. While I havent driven the car yet, I believe they did excellent work. Everything came back looking brand new. They gave me a build sheet. Thus far I've been impressed. Only con is it took them longer than they thought to rebuild everything , but when does that not happen.

Polygon
09-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Subscribed.

After reading more than a few complaints about Kormex I'm looking elsewhere as well.

TT Eric
09-30-2010, 09:37 PM
I had my 25 splines tranny rebuilded by them (and Tcase) about 2 years ago and it came back great, it seems to hold up well the DR750's but I don't launch the car. Lately I began to have trouble, the second gear and reverse are popoing out if I don't hold them, it could be nothing related to the tranny, could be the clutch or adjustment.

I have a 18 splines tranny that I want to bring to Ray so he can convert it to 25 splines (and Tcase) and build it with double syncros and all he think it will be needed to be reliable for the HP I'm gonna make on his dyno.

Eric

Fakepower
09-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Here is a picture of my rear end , put together on my subframe, ill try to get some pics of the transfer case and transmission

http://www.3sgto.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=1126&d=1285897573

EvanH
09-30-2010, 10:44 PM
Eric, what "stage" did you get done? Like Economy Value, or Premium?

TT Eric
10-01-2010, 09:46 AM
Economy, stock rebuild at 1500$, ended more then 1500$ because I needed another VCU and to rebuild the Tcase, at that time I had only the 16Ts and was not planning to change.

Eric

FstAsVR4
10-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I had these guys do mine I did the one under premium I believe. Great turn around time and AMAZING customer service very recommended, they even replaced my shift forks at cost after I put in the tranny and snapped the 1-2 shift fork from a bad throw out bearing all I paid was shipping TO THEM. They are great do amazing work and turnaround is great definitely go with Jacks Transmissions.

x2percentmilk
10-03-2010, 01:43 AM
He gave me some support when I had two transmissions in pieces. I wasnt even a customer...thats enough in my book.

Id trust him and almost sent my own transmission to him, as recommended by others who were impressed by his work. Website is very informative of the process, including tips on how to ship everything.

toddrs93
10-03-2010, 02:02 AM
Jacks is perfectly capable, but we do them too. My guy has over 10 years experience rebuilding 3/S trannys and over 20 years in the business. check the Auto Velocity section:

http://www.3sgto.org/showthread.php?970-Transmission-rebuilds

92RT-TT
10-04-2010, 01:21 AM
I've heard good things... course I've heard good things about my transmissions too. Last one even survived an 18 year old kid learning how to drive a stick with it.

YoshiHNS
11-17-2012, 06:59 PM
I just bolted the transmission I got back from Jacks today. I got the stage 1.1 with the taller 5th gear for my '93 FWD. Had 171k miles on it, and the 5th gear nut backed off, but I was having issues with reverse for a while, and I'm hoping to keep this car running for another 120k miles at least. It took about a month shipping it there and getting it back. He did send emails every so often on what was wrong with it and any extra work they needed to do. He helicoiled a couple of threads for a fee. It was sent out pretty filthy and came back looking really nice and clean. Even put some bits I forgot to take off back in the box. Not sure about mechanical condition, but I'll report back when I get my car back on the road. Still have a good list of things to fix on it before then. Here are some pics of what it looked like out of the box.

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af3/YoshiHNS/3000GT/DSCF0902.jpg

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af3/YoshiHNS/3000GT/DSCF0901.jpg

EvanH
11-17-2012, 08:52 PM
That does look pretty nice. Thanks for posting pics!

YoshiHNS
10-04-2014, 11:32 AM
An update to this. I now have 15k miles on the transmission. I think I've only been driving it since March. My second gear syncro is gone. I can double clutch into second no problem, but if I coast/engine brake in second, it sounds like straight cut gears. First gear is starting to do the same now, and it feels like 3rd gear is starting to develop issues.

I'm going to email them today. The problem started to develop a couple thousand miles ago, but I just didn't have the time to look into it. Last night, I double checked everything I could as far as proper clutch operation, and I drained and refilled the fluid. My fluid level was spot on. Only about 100ml came out when I took the fill plug out, and the oil that was drained was pitch black and had that nice fine metal paste silver to it. My magnet didn't pick up any chunks though.

So now I just regret trying to do things right. Should have just tightened that nut by 5th gear and called it a day.

Considering how this is the 4th NEW part on this rebuild that has failed on me, I am not sure whether they screwed something up, or my bad luck struck again. Would have rather had another new head gasket fall apart on me.

stealthee
10-04-2014, 02:05 PM
If you only got 100ml out when you drained it then you have a hole in your bellhousing. You likely have teeth missing on the differential. Been there, done that. Lack of fluid is probably why you are having the shifting issues.

YoshiHNS
10-04-2014, 02:21 PM
If you only got 100ml out when you drained it then you have a hole in your bellhousing. You likely have teeth missing on the differential. Been there, done that. Lack of fluid is probably why you are having the shifting issues.

Read it again. 100mL for the fill plug. Not the drain plug. I had the correct amount of fluid in there, and it wasn't overfilled.

stealthee
10-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Ah, I misread. Carry on.

EvanH
10-04-2014, 10:17 PM
An update to this. I now have 15k miles on the transmission. I think I've only been driving it since March. My second gear syncro is gone. I can double clutch into second no problem, but if I coast/engine brake in second, it sounds like straight cut gears. First gear is starting to do the same now, and it feels like 3rd gear is starting to develop issues.

I'm going to email them today. The problem started to develop a couple thousand miles ago, but I just didn't have the time to look into it. Last night, I double checked everything I could as far as proper clutch operation, and I drained and refilled the fluid. My fluid level was spot on. Only about 100ml came out when I took the fill plug out, and the oil that was drained was pitch black and had that nice fine metal paste silver to it. My magnet didn't pick up any chunks though.

So now I just regret trying to do things right. Should have just tightened that nut by 5th gear and called it a day.

Considering how this is the 4th NEW part on this rebuild that has failed on me, I am not sure whether they screwed something up, or my bad luck struck again. Would have rather had another new head gasket fall apart on me.

What nut by fifth gear? Or is that just a saying?

And thanks for posting an update. That was a while ago when I had started this thread. lol. I had forgotten about it. I still haven't had the time or money to get a new tranny.

stealthee
10-04-2014, 11:45 PM
The 5th gear nut is an NA thing.

Alan92RTTT
10-05-2014, 12:50 PM
My fluid level was spot on.

Only about 100ml came out when I took the fill plug out
These two statements seem to contradict each other.