PDA

View Full Version : Not boosting to desired boost

Atrosity
09-27-2010, 06:10 PM
Last night bboyalan was tuning my car and it was set for 16 but only boosting 8 psi. He says it doesn't seem like a boost leak, any thoughts on this? Wastegate? Solenoid? Boost leak?

I have

16Ts
550ccs
truboost
maf translator
emanage blue

green-lantern
09-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Wastegate? When was the last time you pressure checked the IC system?

Atrosity
09-27-2010, 06:59 PM
2 weeks ago but the car has been sitting until last night and there wasn't any noticeable leaks.

On the AEM boost control solenoid we had the third hole plugged up which is meant for a sintered muffler thinking it was a possible leak and we were only boosting wastegate because that third hole was plugged on the solenoid, we took off the bolt and was only boosting 8 psi after that which was set for 16...could the solenoid be damaged?

Austin@STM
09-27-2010, 07:41 PM
First place to start is boost leak test it again. When you did it the first time, did you put the tester on the intake side of the turbo. How high did you test it to, if you want to run 16, i would test it up to 25 psi, and make sureit holds solid.

If all that checks out, then i would check out your boost controller, and the lines to the wastegate, if the wastegate is holding 8 psi then its probably doing its job. Your boost controller might not be working properly, or you might simply have a bad line going to the wastegates, keeping them from staying shut until the right PSI. Also check the wiring to the solenoid and make sure there is power.

-Austin@STM

SpdDmnVR4
09-27-2010, 08:11 PM
Warning! this is dangerous!! and should only be used for a last resort. Disconnect the line to the wastegates and see if you can build boost past 8 psi in a 3rd gear pull...

DO NOT build boost in 1st or 2nd. wait til 3rd and slowly ease into the throttle as soon as the needle breaks 8 psi let off.. you know you have a bad boost controller

94PearlwhiteTT
09-27-2010, 08:12 PM
+1 for checking the wiring to the solenoid if everything else tests fine. Even after I checked the wiring on my solenoid with my apexi AVC-R I had, it ended up being a bad solenoid internally. I got a new one, and it fixed the problem (I was having the same symptoms as you, only boosting wastegate pressure).

94PearlwhiteTT
09-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Warning! this is dangerous!! and should only be used for a last resort. Disconnect the line to the wastegates and see if you can build boost past 8 psi in a 3rd gear pull...

DO NOT build boost in 1st or 2nd. wait til 3rd and slowly ease into the throttle as soon as the needle breaks 8 psi let off.. you know you have a bad boost controller

More than likely it would be the solenoid going bad then the whole controller.

Atrosity
09-28-2010, 01:20 AM
So the problem to this was the boost controller. Just boosted 17 PSI by mistake. Everything seems ok.

Austin@STM
09-28-2010, 01:40 AM
Pick up a nice MBC, and you wont ever have that issue again.

Atrosity
09-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Pick up a nice MBC, and you wont ever have that issue again.

Exactly what bboyalan suggested and I plan on doing.

Austin@STM
09-28-2010, 11:18 AM
Grab a Hallman Pro MBC, its what we run in every single car we do, they work very nicely, they wont vibrate out of adjustment, and they look very nice to. Plus its hard to beat the price for such a nice piece.

Plus they are on sale (see link in sig)

-Austin@STM

B-Man
09-28-2010, 11:21 AM
How do the hallmans handle meth?

Austin@STM
09-28-2010, 12:15 PM
I do not know, we never use meth in anything, Im sure it can handle it about aswell as anything else. The hallmans are anodized, so they are about as protected as it gets. We run E-85 in a lot of cars and that hasnt caused an issue yet.