PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Brake Rotors (Adding this info to 3SGTO)

Intropy
09-27-2010, 12:09 PM
Cheapest source I have found for quality TT rotors (they have other models as well):

http://www.clearlyauto.com/catalog/1994/Dodge/Stealth/V6-181-3.0L-DOHC/Brakes-Wheel-Bearings/Front-Brake-Pads-Shoes-Calipers-with-Pads-Rotors-Drums

$54 for fronts
$33 for rears

$87 for a full set of 4

I have run these on my car for years and love them.

hotGTO
09-27-2010, 12:32 PM
Prices are even better for 1st gen AWD...

Intropy
09-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Prices are even better for 1st gen AWD...

True, I think the 2nd gen TT are the most expensive. By the way, they have several varieties available, the ones I got are the "Auto Extra" specifically. Some say AWD and some say "all but AWD" or something like that, so make sure you pick the right one.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
yeah i've been running those on the front for a year and cheap raybestos ones from rockauto on the back

jcr5186
09-27-2010, 12:48 PM
I just bought a set of fronts through OEHQ.com for about $54. They were raybestos brand..

DrGonzo
09-27-2010, 12:59 PM
I wonder if the local shop I got my front rotors from use these guys?

The price is about dead on to what I paid for mine! Good to know they hold up and that others are using them.

Chris@Rvengeperformance
09-27-2010, 01:01 PM
BTW, I do NOT roadcourse, braking fanatics I'm sure won't like these, but the expensive rotors seem to break too when pushed hard.

lawdogg
09-27-2010, 03:15 PM
Great price. I'll see if I can break a set whenever the Stealth's on the road.

Polygon
09-27-2010, 03:24 PM
Great link. There aren't too many places that carry rotors for the 1st gen AWD rear anymore. R1 Concepts and Race Shopper also have decent priced rotors for our cars.

BTW, I do NOT roadcourse, braking fanatics I'm sure won't like these, but the expensive rotors seem to break too when pushed hard.

This is only an issue with OEM replacement 2nd gen rotors. For some odd reason the 1st gen rotors do not have the separation issues.

Great price. I'll see if I can break a set whenever the Stealth's on the road.

ROFL!!!

bridge
09-27-2010, 03:25 PM
damn just dropped 60 bucks for fronts from napa. hmmmmm

MaelstromOC
10-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Just wanted to say I bought brakes and rotors (all around!) from these guys and after trying to put my front rotors on, I discovered the lip on the inside of the rotor (that meets the hub) was too thick toward the center, thus I couldn't install them. It looks like it simply wasn't machined down far enough (comparing to my old rotors) so I'm just going to take them to a machine shop tomorrow and have the lip inside tooled down where it should be.

Aside from that, really fast shipping (shipped from Memphis so I got them the next day) and good prices.

hotGTO
10-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Where was it interfering? Where was it hitting or not fitting? can you show us a pic?

MaelstromOC
10-09-2010, 06:50 PM
It was too narrow for the diameter of the hub. Looking at the backside of the rotor, it would slide up on the hub about 3/4 of the way then it wouldn't go on any further because of the lip on the inside I'm speaking of.

There were no machine shops open around here since it's Saturday, so I'm going to have to wait until Monday to do anything about it, but I'll snap some pics in a bit. I did go by Autozone just to compare my rotor to theirs and I could clearly see there was no lip on all of their rotors and since the diameter at the top was the same, it was clearly a machining error on the rotors I bought. Funny thing is, both of the front rotors I bought had the same problem...

EDIT: Ok, I didn't take a pic of the rotor but I made this using the stock photo they have on their site for the rotor to show what I'm talking about.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v709/Maelstrom_Mephisto/rotorimg.png

Basically, that black circle that I made is where the lip starts. The rotor's inner diameter below that black line is a good 1/8th of an inch smaller than the diameter above it. You can see where the tool tapered off as well. I thought I might have ordered the wrong rotor at first, but all the other's I've looked at don't have a lip inside like that either.

Chris GTO TT
10-10-2010, 10:26 PM
This is only an issue with OEM replacement 2nd gen rotors. For some odd reason the 1st gen rotors do not have the separation issues.

The problem is the way the swept surface of the rotor is attached to the hat. On the 2nd gen rotors the swept surface is moved away from the hat by about 1/3". That is what causes these failures. On 1st gen the hat is directly connected to the swept surface of the rotor.