PDA

View Full Version : Gauging interest... Run #2 on Carbon Fiber or Fiberglass Doors

J. Fast
12-13-2012, 09:51 PM
Hello everyone! As some of you know I pursued a venture in 2010 to bring carbon fiber doors to life in the USA. After a long and enduring process I received the first shipment of doors in December of 2012. A collective group of individuals is test fitting the doors for fit and finish. I'll be touching base with the board and posting up pictures as the individual sets are fitted. Should the expectations been fulfilled I might be interested in producing another run of doors.

I managed to secure two options of doors in pursuit of my goal, one is fiberglass (they weigh around 20lbs), and the other is carbon fiber (they weigh 12lbs or so).

I'm starting this thread to see if there's interest in a future group buy. For now, please keep this a gauging interest thread with the understanding that I'm willing to make another run of doors to recoup my initial investment if the interest is out there.

Should it happen the next order of doors will be the final run as the original molds are only good for 10-12 more sets of doors? After this last run that will be the end as I've no interest in subsequent runs as the later will be "molds of molds" and likely slip in granularity, resolution, and fitment quality.

You guys think it would be worth it for everyone if I set the run price for fiberglass doors @ $1000 a set (given a group of 5 buyers) and the carbon fiber doors @ $1850 per set (for an order of 5 doors as well)?

Is there any interest in this? (Keep in mind the price does not reflect "high value insured shipping").

Please drop your name into this thread and start a list if this is a venture you'd be willing to pursue. Should the interest be there for "round 2" I'll be sure to follow the site rules and regulations for group sales and set something up.

In closing, immeasurable gratitude is owed to my good friend Erron Spasbury (Owner, SVG), as well as Stas Makarov (Owner, IPS Motorsports), and Andre Gysler (Director, Tier 1 Networks) in supporting me and believing in my abilities to produce and realize this product. Without their investment this platform would likely never had this product come to market.

Results...

http://i788.photobucket.com/albums/yy163/JFastMotorsports/Colorado3s/IMG_2515.jpg

Jeremy F

Turbo Beast
12-13-2012, 10:06 PM
Down for fiberglass

92pearltt
12-14-2012, 09:14 AM
I would be interested in a set of fiberglass doors.

Matt_Jagg7
12-16-2012, 01:27 PM
What is the weight difference between Carbon Fiber-Fiberglass and our stock doors please? Having this there would be great for people to see and make a decision. I am interested in one of the two.

fullracegt
12-16-2012, 05:25 PM
What is the weight difference between Carbon Fiber-Fiberglass and our stock doors please? Having this there would be great for people to see and make a decision. I am interested in one of the two.

the difference between a oem steel door vs. carbon fiber is about a 80% weight reduction
and i believe the weight was mentioned in the original post

fullracegt
12-16-2012, 05:28 PM
is the whole door cf or just the outer skin?

J. Fast
12-20-2012, 02:56 PM
They're several layers. carbon/fiberglass/kevlar/carbon.

3 sets of Carbon Fiber doors will be in Denver in the next couple of days... stay tuned for fitment results! Any bets on Erron have them installed within 24 hours?

Erron Spalsbury
12-20-2012, 03:19 PM
They're several layers. carbon/fiberglass/kevlar/carbon.

3 sets of Carbon Fiber doors will be in Denver in the next couple of days... stay tuned for fitment results! Any bets on Erron have them installed within 24 hours?

LOL!
:brilliant:

Hans@GZP
12-23-2012, 09:01 PM
Lets see these bad boys mounted up!!!

Rakuny
01-04-2013, 08:48 PM
the difference between a oem steel door vs. carbon fiber is about a 80% weight reduction
and i believe the weight was mentioned in the original post

hmm.. weight of the new door was mentioned at 12 lbs. Your saying the stock gutted steel door is 60 lbs?

fullracegt
01-04-2013, 09:50 PM
hmm.. weight of the new door was mentioned at 12 lbs. Your saying the stock gutted steel door is 60 lbs?

i just weighed one i have,still has the window motor only no window or speaker its was 56lbs but i used a bathroom scale so dont know how accurate it is lol

Rakuny
01-05-2013, 08:50 AM
i just weighed one i have,still has the window motor only no window or speaker its was 56lbs but i used a bathroom scale so dont know how accurate it is lol

ok, that makes more sense.. according to Jfast's weights in another thread..
2) Door bar = 13 lbs
3) Window tracks, guides, motor, and all mounting hardware = 11 lbs

so the comparable frame of the door with nothing on it.. weighs 32 lbs, so 20lb weight savings per door.

Erron Spalsbury
01-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Lets see these bad boys mounted up!!!

Mine are done!

http://imageshack.us/a/img706/4283/71155481.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img547/5623/31208321.jpg

mehrshadvr4
01-07-2013, 05:10 AM
they fit nice. how much weight did you save with everything installed??