PDA

View Full Version : SOHC Engine HELP!

MK_94_3000GT
12-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Alright guys hopefully you can help me out here so I can get this engine put back into the car and get it up and running.

Here is my current issue: I have a 99 SOHC car and the timing belt came off and I had every intention of just slapping a new one on there and going about my business. Well I got to thinking if I am going to fix it I might as well do it right so I pulled the motor as I bought the car not running to begin with knowing it would be an uphill battle. I started checking over everything and was getting ready to buy parts when I happened upon a body damaged donor car which seemed great.

So I now have a 95 SOHC engine that seems to be in much better shape so I decided to go with this one. I figured it would be pretty straight forward, but I'm learning otherwise. The 99 has a crank sensor on it right by the oil pump, the 95 on the other hand does not. I don't have the donor car anymore so I can't look at the wiring harness or use that or I likely would have considered it.

The problem I have now is I have a 99 harness still in my damn 99 SOHC, with the 99 ECU. So that harness wants a crank sensor to go along with the distributor sensor. The crank sensor is the same as the DOHC crank sensors, it sits in the same location and its wires are the same. Its a 3 wire plug red, black and blue.

My thinking at this point is the car wont start without its damn crank sensor, so I've got to do something. Does anyone know if its possible like the CAS conversion seen here
http://stealth316.com/2-cas_conversion.htm
that I might be able to splice some wires to make the car happy and think there is a crank sensor somewhere? Does the distributor readout come close to mimic what the car wants from crank sensor?

As I understand the 95 motor runs with just the distributor sensor and nothing else. The 99 on the other hand has a distributor sensor (although the plug is different) and additionally a crank sensor. So anyone have any insight on what I might be able to do sans rebuilding my damn 99 motor because I really don't wanna do that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated in this guys I really wanna get this car back on the road, I'm getting tired of driving an automatic.

Dbeltran24
12-05-2012, 05:22 PM
If the 95 SOHC motor is going into the 99, then why don't you pull the crank sensor off the 99 and install it on the 95. As long as the oil pump isn't different it should bolt on. Don't forget the plate that spins through the sensor.

By the way, if you need the 96 manual still, send me a pm with an email address.

Dbeltran24
12-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Also be prepared to transfer over quite a few things. After many headaches with my car, I've learned that there are many parts that are specific to the 99.