PDA

View Full Version : what kind of laptop does everyone use for tuning?

EthanS
09-25-2010, 04:33 PM
I'm looking at purchasing a laptop in the very near future. One of the big reasons I'd like to get a laptop is just because I tune quite a bit (when my car runs lol) One of the biggest issues I had when borrowing my dads laptop was lack of a number pad. Do you guys use a full number pad and arrows while tuning or just roll with the number line along the top and a small screen?

I use emanage ultimate on speed density. Doesn't seem to take much processor power (was using intel celeron processor before didn't seem to lag much).

Just thought this *might* be an interesting thread.

Discuss please

HLxDrummer
09-25-2010, 05:46 PM
I was using a nice 19" Toshiba that used to be my main computer but that had terrible battery life, heavy, was falling apart, and no serial port. I just bought a Dell Inspiron 7200 for like $60 on eBay. I'm sure it'll be way slower, but decent battery life, has a serial port, and if it breaks it's not a huge deal.

brutten
09-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Dell Latitude D420 ultralight for me bit slow but cheap and light.

TurboSinceBirth
09-25-2010, 07:20 PM
You don't need anything powerful to tune the EMU or the AEM for that matter. I use my main laptop, which isn't slow by any means, but can't keep up with the $1100+ high-end video card laptops. It worked great for both the E-manage and AEM. I'd just browse craigslist for a cheap laptop you can haul around in the car. I'm too afraid to leave mine in there because it'd be expensive to replace.

Atrosity
09-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Netbook!

EthanS
09-26-2010, 12:55 AM
Good stuff guys,

I'm looking for this to be my main laptop other uses would just be college shit and surfing forums. If the stealth ever leaves it comes right back home, so leaving it in the car isn't really a problem.

Does anybody prefer a small light computer for tuning just due to use of being able to put it in your lap easy while in the drivers seat? Or prefer a large laptop with a full number pad and arrow keys?

blindmist
09-26-2010, 01:35 AM
I use my MBP and run VMWare on it to tune. It's the only laptop I have, so.

Jimvr4
09-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Netbook!

Couldn't agree more ! I have an ACER Aspire One and although its a little underpowered with the Atom processor, it gets the job done. Extremely light and 5+ hours of battery. I use it for logging and also my Spyder top diagnostic program :D

SilverJester
09-26-2010, 10:37 AM
I have an alienware M11x, which is an awesome laptop with good battery life and pretty small/portable (12 inch). But I use it for other things besides tuning too. If I were getting a laptop solely for tuning I'd get a net book with decent resolution (none of the 800x600 stuff).

KeithMac
09-26-2010, 10:44 AM
Compaq Evo N410c for me, small and light with a good screen, fast enough to surf the web and it has a real serial port!.

stryfe
09-26-2010, 01:41 PM
i use an original-model Asus Eee PC, but the screen resolution is too small for the EMU software so you have to scroll around a lot. it does fit in the glovebox, however, which is a plus.