PDA

View Full Version : kind of sort of overheating

Tballer25
10-12-2012, 10:23 AM
So I took the car out for its first long drive with traffic since buying it. Whenever I am moving freely my temp sensor read nicely (a little lower than the middle of the guage). However, during long intervals of stop and go traffic (like 15-20min) the tempurature slowly rises to about 80% of the guage. I watch it very closely but it doesn't seem to get any higher than this. Then again it might overheat if it was stuck in traffic longer, idk. I checked my hoses and the top one has definitely been replaced, however, the bottom one may not have been. No leaks though. My overflow tank was empty when I first inspected the car before driving. I filled it up with 50/50 but it still "overheats".

Is this most likely to be my thermostat? Or maybe one of the fans? I tried running with no a/c but it still overheated the same way. The last thing I thought it could be was the previous owner using straight water through the radiator, instead of a 50/50 mix. Is that possible to have this reaction?

I know the stock temp guage is terrible, but it seemed like it was always giving a good reading. I have no reason to believe that the guage is faulty since it was working and this only occurs in traffic...

thoughts??

futurevr4man
10-12-2012, 01:46 PM
when the engine is cold, take off the cap on the water housing and fill it up. start engine with the cap still off. wait for bubbles to stop. put cap back on. drive it. fixed.

Tballer25
10-14-2012, 09:04 PM
when the engine is cold, take off the cap on the water housing and fill it up. start engine with the cap still off. wait for bubbles to stop. put cap back on. drive it. fixed.

I appreciate the feedback, but the fluid level is fine. I actually double checked it and it wont take any more fluid. It gets hotter than normal only when driven for more than 30 or so minutes and when stuck in bumper to bumper traffic.

stealthee
10-14-2012, 09:29 PM
He is suggesting that you have an air pocket, which is a good possibility.

Another possibility is a faulty temperature sensor. There are two different sensors. One sends the reading to the gauge, the other tells the fan(s) when to kick on.

mb3000
10-14-2012, 10:25 PM
Burp system, let the car idle and watch the fan kick on (or not).

futurevr4man
10-14-2012, 10:28 PM

that was the important part