Thread: 1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 flash-tuned 16T's @17psi

SDSU Alumnus verified
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

Thanks

Thumbs up 1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 flash-tuned 16T's @17psi

*continuously updated so please check back!*

//edit 05-09//
    The 780's provided some much needed headroom, and the brief tuning went well. Post #122 <<
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________
    //edit 03-07//
    Here is some video coverage on the new GCTech definition file + Evolution 8 MAS:

__________________________________________________ __________________________________
    //edit 03-06//
    The "Evo 8" MAS conversion went well! Post #103 w/ details
    //edit 03-03//
    PTE 780cc injectors are also on the way to join the party! =]
    //edit 03-02//
    Comparative data thus far can be seen in post #95 here <<
    The Lancer Evolution VIII MAS and pigtail are currently enroute!
    //edit 03-01//
    Larger injectors will be going in! We are looking at the 660-780cc range.
    Random note: The car is running cool @18x* with switched fans woo!
    Jump to post #92 for my updates on the stock MAS limitation here <<
    We will also be upgrading to a 3G MAS to raise the damn ceiling already.
    //edit 02-20//
    Beta testing session - Round 1

These are the "big resolution" maps that we did not use for this session:

//edit 02-16//
    The "latest of the latest" big boy maps arrived on Saturday, and I am currently working on a new tune!
    Weather permitting, we are game for this weekend.

Here they are completed after tweaking cell by cell.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________
    //edit 02-02//
    I bring additional good news to this thread while in class lol. The maps have been tweaked to include ahelluvalotmore resolution as well as 2-step/launch control! These peripheries will be employed soon hehe.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    //edit 01-23//
    We have continued our pursuit with the flash-tuned 16T's @17.6psi

His fuel setup should be able to support another 1-2lbs safely, and we shall soon find out!
    In other news, we re-did Eddie's fuel and timing maps to accommodate the new boost controller. It was finally allowing those 16T's to spool-up quickly and correctly. In fact, we actually hit fuel cut [again] at full boost [17.6psi] after cranking it back up a second time.
    While I work on the dyno video, here is a nice clip from our tuning session:

I am driving *DevilSmile* NOT holding all of the peak boost though

On October 10, 2010, we were able to dyno the flash-tuned '99 VR-4 on an aggressive pump gasoline tune and dying boost solenoid.
    366 AWHP//381 FT-LBS TQ << jump to post with details; we are NOT finished just yet though!
    Here is the dyno video as promised

I had to convert down my HD videos to 480p *rolleyes* haha!

For those of you who were following my thread on 3Si, Eddie and I hooked up for another tuning session to continue our progress.

1999 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 flash-tuned 16T's @10psi << original thread with our baseline data

On Friday afternoon/evening, we swapped in the Denso Supra along with the re-installation of the complete solenoid rack and accompanying hoses. That should make this car street legal now and capable of passing emissions testing!

Anyway, we had an interesting session, damn! Everything was silky smooth, except for a few minor details that still need to be ironed out. 610cc's of fuel = lots to play with!

I am overly exhausted from studying yesterday, but the '99 is pushing 16T's to 14.8psi w/ 17psi spike. Basically, we wanted to see how much boost we could push before hitting a wall. Power-wise, less boost and more timing is the way to go. Regardless, this bitch sounds like a jet plane spoolin' for take-off *eek* All flash baby!

lovin' the last segment

I will elaborate more in the morning; really tired. G'night =]

Regards,
    ~ALan

PS: This one is for you Eddie lol
    Last edited by bboyalan; 05-11-2011 at 06:49 AM. Reason: added info/update
    3/S Street Tuner San Diego's Panda VR-4 v.3 w/ 38psi (peak) on E85+Meth | 3094 lbs as of 7/2/19

'92 VR-4 - Fully built, AEM EMS S2, MHI EVO3 16G's, suspension, and corner balancing | '10 EVO X SE | '04 EVO VIII SSL
    4/1/21 - "retuned" est. 570AWHP VD SAE (580 U/C | second gear | 88°F) holding ~30psi (more boost & less timing still... hehe)
    On the side (v.4): IPS single turbo kit w/ GReddy 70mm, BC 3.4 billet stroker crank, BC gears, Italo billet oil pump gears, etc.

"There are no secrets better kept than the secrets that everybody guesses."

I lack color... verified

Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Alan I have a lot of the peripheries mapped out now. While everything is unhooked, would you like to test them for me? This will not set the obd2 self-diagnostic tests to ready and pass (working on that) but it should disable the check engine codes (only for the emissions stuff) and turn the light off on the dash.

edit: just watched the video and saw you had it all hooked back up...

If you can take a 3rd gear pull WOT from 2500 to redline, I can get you a dyno calc.
    Last edited by Greg E; 09-19-2010 at 07:41 PM.

2014 Exomotive Exocet - #101 "shocker yellow" - 1.8L 5-speed 3.9 torsen FMII powered
    Read more: http://mevowners.proboards.com/threa.../greg-pa-build

99 Solano Black VR4 - #16 of 287 - ground up restoration - sold
    98 Pearl White VR4 #54 of 231 - 12.84@105mph - 93 Octane 12.50@107mph - 100 Octane with Chromed ECU - sold
    99 Pearl White VR4 #108 of 287 - 3RD place stock car class ECG 11 - Sold
    98 Black VR4: 100% stock - totalled by an Illegal 2-12-08
    95 White Stealth TT - 11.852 @ 118.25 - sold
    95 SSG Stealth TT - 11.981 @ 115.81mph - sold

"I don't actually work on cars, I just talk about them on the internet."

Forum User
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice this reflash thing is great .

SDSU Alumnus verified
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

Thanks
    That sounds like a plan Greg! Thanks for the offer bro. Any chance that you mapped out the "stationary rev limit" yet?

MB - It surely is an amazing edge that these specific years can enjoy. I become slightly envious and seduced each that time I drive haha!
    Last edited by bboyalan; 09-19-2010 at 01:30 PM.

I lack color... verified

Owner Since
    Aug 1998

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bboyalan View Post
    That sounds like a plan Greg! Thanks for the offer bro. Any chance that you mapped out the "stationary rev limit" yet?

MB - It surely is an amazing edge that these specific years can enjoy. I become slightly envious and seduced each that time I drive haha!
    There isn't one... We have to code it. NLTS is also going to be another thing we need to code.

Send me an evoscan log with a WOT pull from 2500 to redline and I'll get you a dyno calc.
    Last edited by Greg E; 09-19-2010 at 07:41 PM.

SDSU Alumnus verified
    Owner Since
    Nov 2006

Thanks
    Ah, well I really hope the encoding work is not too difficult for you and the others.

How about I trade you that datalog for the definition file LOL! I have a clean logged pull from 2.3-6k. In fact, it was the second to last pull shown in the video. Bear in the mind that we were not tuning for power with such low advancement and, not to mention, whatever leaks made themselves present.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Im suprised the MAS is maxed out on relatively small turbos at such low boost.

We seriously need a solution to that, thats pretty lame...

Great work otherwise!

Jason

Silverstone Metallic 94 R2 FD and a Silver 2015 F250 Lariat Ultimate CCSB 6.7PSD
    Sold: Black 99 VR4 and two Pearl White 93 VR4's. Just say NO to FMIC's

rawr. verified
    Owner Since
    August 2009

Thanks
    Ya alan, you have heard me say this countless times on how badass this is!!
    vroom vroom i drive a 93 toyota mr2.

https://car.social

Man vs 3/S verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Dang once everyone figures this out I will probably do it. I dont have the know how or tuning experience to do this to my DD. Maybe next spring when I get my 15g's installed
    93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage

Forum User Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Epic stuff man!
    1995 VR4 Coupe