Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Carbon Fiber Drive Shafts

Not A DSM verified
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Groove View Post
    I was wondering if that was an option. I just jumped on IPS and only saw carbon fiber ones, I've never looked into them since I was FWD.

Since weight isn't a HUGE thing a aluminum one would be a great bet.

-John
    Not just price, but I've heard of people having vibration issues with the 1pc CF DS. I would suggest that you go with a 2pc whether you go with CF or aluminum.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have never driven a car with aluminum shafts, but im sure that would be a great alternative.

I have never driven a car with a PST shaft so i cannot comment about their product, but i worked at a shop that was a ACPT dealer and we never had ANY complaints of vibration related issues on anything from 3s, DSMs or Euro cars.

And frankly the Euro guys were WAY harder on there cars VS the rest of the customer base, and the pickiest, nit-picking twat waffles of all!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pos-vr4 For This Useful Post:

Not A DSM verified
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    It's seems to be really hit or miss on the vibration with the CF shaft. Some people have problems for some reason. I'd sure like to know the cause.

I was one of the very first to get one in my car and I still rate mine as one of the best mods I could have done. Here is what I can do that I could not do before. I can just lift my foot off the clutch at 700rpms and the car goes without stalling. It feels like a lighter car all around and the clunk is gone or practically non-existant.
    Its strong too and can take snow/ice etc with no degredation.

Sam

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    the one piece CF is soo expensive, even the second hand guys can't get a whole lot for them...two piece ALU is the right price though
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

Quote Originally Posted by i3igpete View Post
    i would say no, unless you're a drifter and need the lighter drivetrain inertia to break the tires loose easier. otherwise since your tires don't slip and the CFDS is a long slender tube (not much rotational inertia to be saved), you're better off spending the money otherwise. yes, i do own one but i'm pretty much near the end of easy weight savings.
    i disagree. i've driven cars with similar setups besides the driveshaft and i saw a NOTICEABLE difference with a CFDS. the car feels a bit peppier overall.
    a more pronounced difference will be noticed if you're going from worn out carrier bearings to a solid CFDS.

I'd say two piece aluminum is definately the way to go, at least if you're going two piece. I was on 3SX looking at them and the descriptions make it look like the aluminum is actually lighter than the carbon fiber one, if only by half a pound.

From 3SX:
    Carbon Fiber - 27 pounds for the 2-piece kit (not counting the included carrier bearing)
    Aluminum - The 26.5 pound weight is without the carrier bearing.

$800 vs $1400, I think I know my choice.

Quote Originally Posted by wraith View Post
    I can just lift my foot off the clutch at 700rpms and the car goes without stalling.Sam
    I've got an ACPT 1 piece and noticed this also. Honestly I didn't notice a huge difference overall though. The clunking was gone, that was the first thing I noticed. I had a slight vibration around 65-70mph but it's gone now that I installed solid motor mounts.

3si join date Jan 2002 supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    totally worth it to buy a 1pc cfds. the only downfall is some cars will have a vibration with the 1pc, others won't. it's just car specific. i have the vibration problem with mine, had to turn it 3 times to get it where it's acceptable, even though it is still there a little bit around 80mph, then just kinda goes away.

3si join date Jan 2002 supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SkortchGT View Post
    totally worth it to buy a 1pc cfds. the only downfall is some cars will have a vibration with the 1pc, others won't. it's just car specific. i have the vibration problem with mine, had to turn it 3 times to get it where it's acceptable, even though it is still there a little bit around 80mph, then just kinda goes away.
    i forgot to mention i also bought mine used but in very good condition, was going to send it to pst to get re-balanced before i put it on but never did.