Thread: Has my transmission seen it's last days?

SKADOOSH!!! verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) J_Parker's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Has my transmission seen it's last days?

Hey guys, as some of you may know I have been extensively rebuilting my R/T-T/T for quite a while now and have hit a road block in my not so knowing knowledge of transmissions. Today I finally buckled and pulled the tanny out of my Stealth's coarpse fighting through a foot of snow to do so, and well, upon tearing it appart... Things just don't look pretty to me, There seems to be considerable wear on some of the gears and the synchros seem very loose to me. I had my dad take a look at it (I thought he'd know more about them than I would) and he says it's looking pretty sad, there's a conciderable ammount of metal on the magnet plug, and upon pulling it there was no oil spillage like usual. I hadn't drained it either because I was in such a rush to just get back inside and warm up.

I'll post up some picks as soon as I can, and any help in identifying problems would be greatly appreciated!
    Photobucket

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I was thinking of just giving it a full rebuild and actually begin a learning curve on how these things work etc, but if it's too far gone and new gears etc are needed then I think I'll just be picking up a good used one somewhere. My budget was cut short and all I have in for the tranny is all new synchros. I should also add, the only thing wrong with it before I took my car off the road was a nasty grind into 3rd gear from second or downshifting from 4th.
    Last edited by J_Parker; 11-29-2010 at 02:34 AM.

Runs on alcohol. The car does too. Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Intropy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Those pictures don't show much. I see some chips but nothing too bad. You need to disassemble the shafts to get a good idea of the condition. Chances are that 3rd gear dog teeth and/or the 3-4 slider have damage if it was grinding.

The thing about a used trans is, unless you pull it out of a car you've driven, or you buy from a reputable shop, you're pretty much in the same spot - needing to tear it down to inspect. Or, you can just install and pray it doesn't need to come back out. Personally, I would rebuild what you've got.

AEM s2 EMS | E316Gs | E85

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Intropy For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks man. Is there any forums you know of to give a general walkthrough to fully tear it down? I didn't think it was all that big of a deal when my dad made it sound like it was a boat anchor... He was just so cnvinced that the gears were garbage, the sychros I knew were pretty well done. But I'll tear it down take some pictures and post them up.

Runs on alcohol. The car does too. Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) Intropy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If you're not completely new to this, the manual has all the information you need:

http://www.3sx.com/faq/manuals/Servi...ag-English.pdf

You'll need a press, which will set you back $2-300 if you don't have one.