Thread: Guage face overlay wiring

Forum User
    Owner Since
    Dec 2005

Thanks

Guage face overlay wiring

I looked and didn't find anything on this so,

Has anyone ever wired in a set of these??

MITSUBISHI 3000GT SL NON -TURBO 6 Pieces Glow Gauge GTO - eBay (item 350413900680 end time Dec-14-10 1701 PST)

I want to wire it in so that when I turn the parking lights on they turn on(like stock) but I am not 100% sure where to wire it in.

I am sure it will go into the retrostat harness but I am unsure which wire it will use and I just had to replace the end of the harness due to it being hacked beyond repair..

So can anyone help me with this??

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    no instructions from the seller? I assume there is a central control box that all dials connect to for their power. It will have it's own power source and it will use the park light circuit to trigger the unit and turn all guages on..... I assume

Forum User
    Owner Since
    Dec 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GTOJOE View Post
    no instructions from the seller? I assume there is a central control box that all dials connect to for their power. It will have it's own power source and it will use the park light circuit to trigger the unit and turn all guages on..... I assume
    Nope no instructions, It does have a simple power box with a power/ground wire.

I am just trying to figure out which wire I tap for that power to the park light circuit..as I looked at the stock wiring diagram and I couldn't put it together...

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    are there only 2 wires coming from it? gnd and pos? if so then it just needs to be connected to any power source that turns on when you turn the parkers on. It won't draw much power so your prob safe with any power source under the dash.

Forum User
    Owner Since
    Dec 2005

Thanks
    are there only 2 wires coming from it? gnd and pos? if so then it just needs to be connected to any power source that turns on when you turn the parkers on. It won't draw much power so your prob safe with any power source under the dash.
    Right, But I am HORRIBLE with wiring, I hate it and it hates me...

Basicly I need to find that 12V switched wire... the easiest one would be the retrostat however I am unsure which wire is the switched... and I am sure that I could eventualy after trial and error find out.

Twin Turbo verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Do you have a test light or a multimeter? if so you need to test the wires on the reostat for power after you turn the parkers on. So if using a test light clip one end to a good earth then just probe the wire [or the exposed pin in the socket etc] with the probe and it should light up. Turn parkers on and off to make sure this source is only on when the parkers are on. Same sort of thing with the multimeter. Connect the gnd/blk probe to a good earth then probe the wires and check for voltage of 12+ volts. Make sure your multimeter is set correctly as wel. DC volts with the = except the bottom line is actually 3 dots [ ... ] and select 20 volts or similar.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to GTOJOE For This Useful Post:

Wut wut? verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What's a retrostat?

Forum User
    Owner Since
    Dec 2005

Thanks
    Do you have a test light or a multimeter? if so you need to test the wires on the reostat for power after you turn the parkers on. So if using a test light clip one end to a good earth then just probe the wire [or the exposed pin in the socket etc] with the probe and it should light up. Turn parkers on and off to make sure this source is only on when the parkers are on. Same sort of thing with the multimeter. Connect the gnd/blk probe to a good earth then probe the wires and check for voltage of 12+ volts. Make sure your multimeter is set correctly as wel. DC volts with the = except the bottom line is actually 3 dots [ ... ] and select 20 volts or similar.

Ahhh.... when it was being tested with the messed up harness we were using 1 of the wires in the harness as the ground... not grounding the mutimeter to a good ground within the car.

I'll give this a try and see if it works.

Forum User
    Owner Since
    Dec 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbuhrman View Post
    Ahhh.... when it was being tested with the messed up harness we were using 1 of the wires in the harness as the ground... not grounding the mutimeter to a good ground within the car.

I'll give this a try and see if it works.
    Reostat..retrostat... you say tomato's I say tamato's...

:P