Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a good camera at a decent price. Suggestions?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

Need a good camera at a decent price. Suggestions?

My girlfriend likes to take pictures of me when I race (Motocross/Harescrambles/other offroad races) but her current camera takes forever to take the picture so she doesn't get the pictures she wants. Can you suggest a camera for under $200 that would work well? Or, can you tell me what I need to look for in a camera so that she can take good action shots? Thanks for all of your help.

Tyler
    "FOR SALE" 6 month old MKW 18inch chrome rims/tires, spent $2,000: $800
    "FWD TT Project" Pearl White 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT DOHC
    Looks/Body: Full Viper alarm, Remote door pop, Shaved door handles, Blue projector headlights, MKW 18inch chrome rims, Cooper Zeon tires, Leather steering wheel cover, Chrome shift knob, NOKYA Motorsports pedals, Custom flame headliner
    Performance: K&N FIPK filter, Blue ground wire kit, Cold air intake system, KYB GR-2 struts/shocks, Dual custom Catback exhaust
    Audio: Pioneer CD player, Duel 6x9 speakers
    Coming soon: FWD TT Build, Custom interior, Paint job, Different hood, Body parts, New tint, Working mirrors, Window regulators, And fog lights, The list goes on and on...and on.

Canon SX130is

I have a 110 that is still going strong and kicks ass in every way.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    nothing under a budget of $200 with the requirement you want.

realistically, a used rebel is probably your best bet. you can find a lot in good condition within the $200-$300 range.

any of the powershots will do fine, but as with any point and shoot, you have to pre-set each shot to get the "right" shot you want. on a DSLR, you squeeze the shutter button, it fires. thats the main difference in missed shots with p/s vs dslr.

'13 Evolution MR
    '12 Lancer Sportback

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Macky View Post
    nothing under a budget of $200 with the requirement you want.

realistically, a used rebel is probably your best bet. you can find a lot in good condition within the $200-$300 range.

any of the powershots will do fine, but as with any point and shoot, you have to pre-set each shot to get the "right" shot you want. on a DSLR, you squeeze the shutter button, it fires. thats the main difference in missed shots with p/s vs dslr.
    That and time dedicated to learning to use a dslr properly.

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopKill View Post
    That and time dedicated to learning to use a dslr properly.
    There really is not much to learn. DSLR's are retarded easy to learn. My brother gave me a 20m crash course and I was on my way. Now I can't stand point and shoot cameras.

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blindmist View Post
    There really is not much to learn. DSLR's are retarded easy to learn. My brother gave me a 20m crash course and I was on my way. Now I can't stand point and shoot cameras.
    As soon as you take it off auto mode that 20m crash course is goin out the window. lol

Now with more poop-smear Not Verified
    Owner Since
    Not Anymore

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    look for a camera with a burst-fire mode. cameras that support high transfer speed storage media are going to be your best bet. you're probably not going to find what you want in a point & shoot.

p.s.

DSLR's are great; provided you aren't a constantly mobile person whose gear has to be small, compact, and not vulnerable to shocks. i'd rather lug around my wife's 14 M-pixel panasonic (that just so also happens to take 720p video) rather than lug around lenses and a body that's 2x the size.

not only do i usually NEVER have the time to set up my shots, i can't afford the luxury of dragging a DSLR on deployments.

Forum User
    Owner Since
    June 2010

Thanks
    You can learn all you need to know on a DSLR in a few minutes.

Once you teach someone what ISO, Aperture, shutter speed, AF modes, and Av mode are, they're pretty much set. I mean they probably aren't going to be able to take any picture exactly how they want to, but for most daylight stuff, throw it in Av mode with the appropriate ISO and aperture and you're pretty much set.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CoopKill View Post
    As soon as you take it off auto mode that 20m crash course is goin out the window. lol
    Wrong, that is what the whole 20m crash course was about. The auto mode on SLR's is worse than a point and shoot. Seriously, have the balls to learn, my brother learned when he was 8.