Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: iPad as CarPC/Digital Climate Control

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxClass View Post
    OK. Admittedly it doesn't control anything but the displays are second to none that I have seen anywhere.

Yes, it is OBD II only but that is today. Tomorrow may be different, who knows. It may be able to work with something like the AEM EMS Series II since they do have WiFi capability also. After all WiFi can go both ways so all that is needed is something to control. I know it sounds overly simple but there has to be someone out there with the smarts to find a way.

Almost everything on the iPhone, iPad, etc. is programmed in Objective-C and Apple already has the necessary Classes to do just about anything one could imagine and if it doesn't then writing Classes to do what you need is not that hard to do. Apples entire Development System is free on any Mac and contains everything you need to program in Objective-C including access to all the frameworks.

As for placement, maybe an iPad could be inserted [on a special bracket] diagonally into the dash opening with a door that closes behind it. To use it just slide it out sideways [2:00 to 8:00] and rotate into place in front of the center console. Just thinking outside the box.
    Good to see that you got yourself caught up to speed with the rest of the thread.

Member verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blindmist View Post
    Good to see that you got yourself caught up to speed with the rest of the thread.
    lol...
    '92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT - Aug. 2012 COTM

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I thought about the idea of an Ipad to use like you want but I think it will look to big for our dash. It will fit if you cut the dash, but proportion wise it looks off I think. It will be cool to see it and look if it flows better than what I imagine.