Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swallows some pride.......

Here for the party Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Swallows some pride.......

As some of you know I rebuilt the engine in my 91 VR4 recently. I used a reground forged crank from NAPA. When I got the crank one of the rod journals was plugged solid with blasting material, I did my best to clean it all out and was pissed about recieving it this way but I was impatient after having to order it from half way around the country so I wasnt about to return it. I knew I should drill out the oil galleys and clean, tap and plug with set screws, I skipped this step being confident that I got it all. So for about 500 miles the car ran great but I began to hear what sounded like rod knock at around 3.5k rpm. After further investigation I determined it was in fact knock. I dropped the pan and found that I had not spun a bearing but that the rod bearing furthest from the pump was badly worn and had some of the blasting sand embedded in it. I decided to use carb cleaner and do my best to clean out the crank, polish it and slap in a new set of rod bearings and keep my fingers crossed.
    Well this was going great until about 1100 miles total on the build. I once again noticed some rod knock, I had already made up my mind that I no longer really cared about the engine and had enough with it. So today I am driving it home from work and its running great when I feel a sudden loss of power. It was using full turbo power just to accelerate at all. I took the nearest exit and checked it out. It spun a bearing badly. It was clanging a banging worse then when it spun the first bearing. A interesting note is the rear turbo was also glowing bright red, but the oil pressure had dropped way of so I suspect the bad rod is in some way causing the turbo to glow not the turbo causing the racket.
    So currently the car still sits at the exit because I didnt dare to drive it any further for fear of the rod going through the block or causing a fire. At this point I think I am done with this car. I know its not the cars fault but my own but its always something and I just dont have the money to keep dumping into it. Tomorrow I will get it towed home and take some good pics of her and start a for sale thread, or trade for a running base if someone is interested.
    I was hesitant to post this because I know I screwed up and it will probably hurt my rep with some of you. But whatever, know you know the story and why I sit here drinking beer, a little depressed but not gonna let it get to me too much.

There will be Blood! verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    wow that sucks man! Sorry to hear the news.

Help them, for they know not that which they do not know!
    CoopKill's Mistress Makeover Thread!
    "Punk, Nutswinging, Small Time, Asshat, Monkey, Jerkoff, Loser that rides on other peoples accomplishments!" . .

Chris said ninjas don't fall down.
    Owner Since
    7/07/07

Thanks
    Damn, man. I've read some of your threads. What a crappy break, huh? Don't sell, give it some time, and just re-evaluate.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Thanks, I appreciate it. At this point I am thinking I might go base if I can find a trade. I figure someone with a decent base will be interested in a decent VR4 needing some work. I am just sick of all the crap I have gone through, even though I admit this ones on me.

Padawan garage troll Not Verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Bummer situation on the car. These cars definitely take some fortitude to own! I believe most of us have been through the frustration in varying degrees, and can empathize. At least we aren't paying the stealership! My wife has been VERY supportive. I agree with beepbeep. Relax with a beer or four and let it settle in, don't do anything rash.

Also your posting does not affect your reputation; that has been built on many helpful posts on this and the old site.

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    ....Id take it off your hands if your were a little closer ....This is a sad day.

One day....it will be on 4 wheels. supporter
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sucks dude, but then alot of people are swapping blocks n things going for strokers....hint
    Building a House, Car Mods on hold!
    1996 GTO, Owner since 2003.

Owner Since

Thanks
    If I keep it I wont be building it back up until next summer. I am about to go have it towed home now. Still a little undecided on what I want to do with it. Thanks for the supportive comments guys.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Sorry to hear this, Corey.

Keep the car.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

GREASE BUNNY
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roybatty View Post
    Also your posting does not affect your reputation; that has been built on many helpful posts on this and the old site.
    This ^

If blown engines effected rep in this community I would have been ousted a long time ago with a lot of others.

I am really sorry Corey.

I was exactly where you are now a few months back and had basically decided to start parting out but as pissed off as I was I just couldn't do it.

Bring the car home and put in the the garage or cover it up and give yourself time to get past the anger and disappointment. If letting it sit there until next summer doesn't cause a hardship then let it sit.

Then if you still feel the same move forward but just make sure it's really what you want to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by green-lantern View Post
    Oh Karen, you made me smile today.