Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Extreme contact or... Ecsta?

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 GordonRamsey's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Extreme contact or... Ecsta?

Well winter is coming and I need some good rain/snow tires. Not necessarily snow, but mostly something to withstand the temperature. Feels like it's gonna be a cold one. I'm stuck between Continental Extreme Contact DWS and Kumho Ecsta AST's. I know the Continental's are very recommended but are a bit on the expensive side. (even for 225/50/16) So the AST's look like a real deal at only 260 for all four. What you say ye? Any good or bad experiences with either?
    “What's the use of a fine house if you haven't got a tolerable planet to put it on?”

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    225/50's are too short, the proper size is 225/55.

That being said AST's are All Season. I ran with 245/45/17 ASX's a few winters back and didnt really have any isues. I drove on some pretty bad roads a few times too. That being said, nothing can really replace some good winter tires. Worse comes to worse get 2 ASTs for the rear, and 2 Extreme Contacts for the front.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

Forum User Feedback Score 2 (100%) Maximal's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Are these winter only tires? If so why not just go with a snow tire? Blizzaks will get you anywhere you want to go in whatever snow there is. Might be a bit pricey but probably worth it.

Hitokiri Battousai verified Feedback Score 0 Jeremy C's Avatar
    Owner Since
    June 2002

Thanks
    Agree with Terry. If you're going to get winter tires, buy some actual winter tires. I used a set of Blizzak WS-50's on my Focus through 2 winters before moving to AZ, and they instill serious confidence when cruising in crappy conditions. Noisy, wobbly when warm, and wear out fast, but DAMN they chew up snow like nothing else.

No sheep are safe tonight supporter Feedback Score 4 (100%) Valhallaz's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I love the DWS's. I've run them on everything from dry to ice. Yeah, a little pricey, but they stick on anything. So far (10k or so) treadwear is great.
    A real winter tire would no doubt be better on snow, but for all season I don't think you can beat the DWS.
    Last edited by Valhallaz; 11-08-2010 at 08:24 PM.

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I've owned both the DWS (and the earlier extreme contact) and the ASX but never tried the AST's. If you need snow traction, which you say isn't the main worry, the DWS are much better tires. The Kuhmos don't have anywhere near the grip of the Continental's rain or snow but they do have acceptable performance, stiffer sidewalls, and longer wear. If price is the major factor then the Kuhmos may be one of the best for the buck.

If you live in a place where snow and ice are common most of the winter then dedicated winter tires are the way to go but dry roads tend to do them in quickly. I hate only getting a couple years out Blizzaks before they don't do what they're made to do anymore.

Eurospec Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Nokian Hakkapeliitta R or Nokian Hakkapeliitta Rsi! They are, along with Blizzaks, probably the best snow tires out there. I have run all 3 and feel the Nokians edge out the Blizzaks in all aspects, especially threadwear on dry roads. Breakaway on wet roads is also very predictable, and traction in such conditions is great for being snow tires.

Not A DSM verified Feedback Score 3 (100%) Polygon's Avatar
    Owner Since
    June 2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    I've owned both the DWS (and the earlier extreme contact) and the ASX but never tried the AST's. If you need snow traction, which you say isn't the main worry, the DWS are much better tires. The Kuhmos don't have anywhere near the grip of the Continental's rain or snow but they do have acceptable performance, stiffer sidewalls, and longer wear. If price is the major factor then the Kuhmos may be one of the best for the buck.
    When I was still DD my Stealth I had the AST on it and drove it through one winter. They did pretty good for an all season tire. If price is a concern then the AST is a pretty good value. However, I agree that if you're getting a tires just for winter duty, just go for the gold and get a winter tire.

Senior (i.e. OLD) Member :) verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) OhioSpyderman's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    My current set on the Stealth (my winter daily) are the older model Continental's. They have provided me with over 60K trouble free miles. My new DSW's should be here tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to another 60K trouble free....

@$126 per tire, they're on the low end of the Spectrum for stock TT tires and wear VERY well.

I'll report back in a few days, once they're mounted and balanced

Bob.

EDIT, I would go with a straight winter tire if the Stealth didn't pick up the slack when the weather isn't perfect in the OTHER seasons
    Last edited by OhioSpyderman; 11-09-2010 at 10:20 AM.
    95 Caracus Red Spyder VR4 (sold 6/12/21 )
    Cianci FG Viper Hood/Aerocatch Pins
    Quad Carbon Fiber Tipped Borla Catback
    Stock 18" 6 Spoke Chromies
    K&N FIPK
    Indiglo Gauges
    JimVR4's Remote Start/Top Op Computer

92 Wheat Beige Metallic Stealth TT (sold 6/14/20 )

OhioSpyderman Short Shifter (in both!!!)
    SBC-iD Boost Controller (in both!!!)

Oldest son - 94 Danube Blue VR4 (sold 10/19)
    Middle son - 93 Panama Green VR4

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I had ASXs on my Supra and I drove that through a winter. Even managed to make it up one of the steepest hills in the area with four or five inches of snow on the ground.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast