Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I REALLY Need A lawyer

Banned verified Feedback Score 0 ictponder's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

I REALLY Need A lawyer

Long story short:

My ex has had custody for my daughter for the last 8 years. She has continuously shown herself to be irresponsible and unworthy to raise my daughter let alone 4 kids.

Recently she has moved my daughter into her grandmothers house and enrolled her into a different school without my knowledge. She didn't even include my name on her enrollment paperwork.

I have joint legal custody, have paid child support consistently, have never missed a visit (she lives 2 hours away - every other weekend) and provide our own Blue Cross policy.

She has been unemployed for the last 6 years collecting from the state, has been investigated by CPS for domestic violence, has been evicted 6 times in 3 years, had a guy living in her house who was arrested for drug dealing, left a dog tied to a tree in the back yard after she was evicted from her last house a couple months ago with no shelter, and now has violated our court order and doesn't even live with my daughter as of 2 days ago.

Somebody on here has to know someone or something. Last time I went to court for custody earlier this year they threw out my case on something called a "Threshold" I need some help bad.

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    If everything you say is true (and I have no reason to doubt you) you should have no problem getting your daughter.

Fight fight and fight is my only advice. These people (the court) are too busy for every case in existance, theyre not treating you any differently then anyone else (which i guess is the sad part).

Step things up bit by bit if they dont listen until theyre life is nothing but waking up to voice mails from you or your attorney. Its the only way it will get done, but it will be worth it for your, and more importantly her, sake.

Forum User Not Verified
    supporter
    Feedback Score 2 (100%) RealMcCoy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ictponder View Post

and now has violated our court order and doesn't even live with my daughter as of 2 days ago.

If that's true, that's abandonment... If you have joint custody, I would show up at the grandmother's house (who has no custody) with a copy of your court ordered custody agreement and a sheriff, and take your daughter home. There won't be a damn thing they can do about it, and your ex will be lucky not to go to jail...

Then let her take you to court trying to get her back...

Forum User verified Feedback Score 2 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    ^ not a bad plan

Owner Since
    12-22-98

Thanks
    ^ x2 .. What I know about it is that it is rather hard to get 100% custody in most all states as you have to prove the mother unfit .. And the courts definition of unfit versus the publics is quite different .. Sounds like you have a lot of reasons to be concerned and I do hope the court sees it that way as well .. You know at your daughters age she might be your biggest ally in that court situation as she sees all .. And if you could get the child from Grannys and then let her take you to court, it might work out for you as your ex sounds pretty much down and out in a big picture ..

Forum User Feedback Score 0 reallyxxxxxxloud's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    MMM I think your up shit creek... It would take some very serious abuse for a court to remove a child from their mother even though, as you have shown, she is a poor mother- I don't think its enough.

I'm not being an asshole but just putting it out there.

If you can!!! legally!!! "do" as RealMcCoy said...
    "Video games don't affect kids, I mean if Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
    DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX SILK DOME TWEETERS X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1 ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4 AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
    ECLPISE 10" TITANIUM (SUBSONICS) X2 SW9102
    PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES (INFRASONICS) X2 DC SERVOS http://webfaq.phoenixphorum.com/cyclone.htm
    FUSION 7 COLOUR L.E.D KITS X4 2 MODIFIED. Intergrated lighting through out install.
    1994-MITSUBISHI-GTO-TWIN-TURBO-4WD-4WS-FULLY OPTIONED-SERIOUSLY being MODIFIED

LW fears my posts Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since
    1996, 1st Stealth TT; 2000, current TT

Thanks
    Documentation is key. I am not a lawyer, but know several who have dealt in cases like this, as well as a good friend who went through this several years ago. He successfully proved that she was an unfit mother and was granted sole custody. However, it cost him almost 10k in fees and over a year with multiple court dates to do it.

One of the main things was that his own life was spotless. He's a cop, (shows responsibility) and has family living nearby (support for the child if need be.) If you have any skeletons in your closet that any lawyer of hers may find, either trouble with the law, unstable employment, etc... You will probably lose the case, as you are fighting an uphill battle here. Courts still take the view that the mother is still the best choice in almost all situations for raising a child over a father.

Chris said ninjas don't fall down. Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since
    7/07/07

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by UTRacerX9 View Post
    Documentation is key.
    This. Document, document, document. As often as you can get a police report on something, do it.
    Best of luck, man. I have read a couple of posts of yours regarding your little girl and the mother. Bad business.

Banned verified Feedback Score 0 ictponder's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I appreciate all the advice, good & bad. Monday I will try and make as many phone calls as I can and get the ball rolling. I really like RealMcCoy's and will see if that's something that can be done but it sounds too good to be possible. I know my ex is hiding something, I have yet to receive even a phone call from her about this whole situation.

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 0 cjbyron's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    The title of your thread says it all. By all means yes.

I wouldn't do ANYTHING until you get an attorney. Find an upper-range and priced attorney in your region (they are actually cheaper in the long run, trust me) that practices family law in the area/court it will be heard in. Lay it all out. Let them examine the scenario and come up with a game plan. This sort of thing is not won or lost in 1 round. You need strategy, lengthy documentation (as others have stated), and a law office that is in your corner with enough resources required to handle it properly. Some of the other stuff is petty (how the courts will view it at least) and sometimes the opposing party does those things purposely to get your goat. Or spin your wheels and waste legal fees. Yes, it pisses you off, but look beynd that. Overlook those things (for now) and go after the big picture including what's best for the child and not emotions between the parents. Roll it all into a big picture for the court rather than fight each little battle seperately.

I took legal custody of my daughter when she was approximately 6 years old (she is now 19). It took 11 months of court and about $20,000 in attorney fees but I prevailed in the end and never regretted it. You only get one shot to raise your kids was how I saw it.

I know it's a really stressful thing to get through. Terribly emotional and consuming. Good luck to you.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast