Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone deal with a herniated disc?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks

Anyone deal with a herniated disc?

I'm 4 weeks into this sh#t and getting better, but wanted to know if anyone had any experience with this and how long it took for you to recover, advice?

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    You probably won't feel right (left?) for a year, though the pain will subside.

Keep to your rehab schedule and grit your teeth.

Figure out an order of heat/cold applications that provides you the most relief.

Try to be big and tough.

Good luck.
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Stuper Moderator
    Owner Since
    January 2003

Thanks
    I'm in my 13th year(one is ruptured and two are bulging bad), so yeah I've dealt with it a little, haha. My only option is surgery, same option I've had since 97. No thanks, not until I can't walk at all...which as of late appears is on the very near horizon. Uggggg...

Jeremy

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    My Dad is going through the same shit. He's always had back pain, so I guess he's found a way to ignore that... But the pinched nerve caused severe (left) shoulder pain so he's been on steroids and pain killers... He was taking huge doses of vicodin, but apparently, his body doesn't react to pain killers at all. The steroids have helped reduce the pain and if he can quit loading his back, maybe it can heal... I think he's also seeing a chiropractor (which is something he's never done with enough regularity).

13 years, Jeremy? Why are you so opposed to surgery?
    Last edited by AdamVR4; 11-04-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Stuper Moderator
    Owner Since
    January 2003

Thanks
    1. The downtime.
    2. The odds of success.

Over the years I've just learned to live differently. Recently, it has been extremely aggrivating, for no good reason, so I may not be able to put it off much longer.

Jeremy

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HilbillyHomeboy View Post
    2. The odds of success.
    Can you elaborate? Ugh

Stuper Moderator
    Owner Since
    January 2003

Thanks
    It's something along the lines of 60% feel little to no difference. 30% feel better. 10% feel worse. The last person I know who went through it fell into the 60% category, and they advised him up front of those odds. His back was torn up pretty bad, similar to mine. It does depend on the type of surgery being performed. A lot of them have really high success rates.

I may look into the new spinal decompression therapy, but it appears it's only for "pain" and I think I'm well past that point.

I do need to do something, it's getting really bad. I'm just really lazy...

Jeremy

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Sorry to hear that Jermy. Which disc(s)? The scitica is with me is the worst, can lay on side. I've been sleeping in a laze boy for 4 weeks now (sitting up).. this has been misery. Only last 2 weeks has it become Ok. I'd rather shoot myself than go through week 1-3 ever again and now I wonder what it will be like months from now. 90%? 100%?

Stuper Moderator
    Owner Since
    January 2003

Thanks
    L-3, L-4, L-5. Just about the worst ones to eff up. I think the root of it is from pole vaulting in high school, plus I was diagnosed with scoliosis(sp?) in junior high. People don't notice the curvature until I tell them to look straight on at my shoulders, then I get the "holy shit, your right shoulder sits way lower than your left!". I make a conscious effort to hold them even, as that's what the docs told me to do way back when.

Jeremy

L4 and L5 for me and I live with it. Never having the operation. Tried everything but the operation and the best thing that helped me was an inversion table. $200.00 at Sears. I don't take any medication now and just flip upside down for 1/2 hour when it starts bugging me.