Thread: Rally

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Woodzy's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Rally

Well I thought i'd share what I get up to when off the Tarmac.

History: My Grandfather is one of the founders of Rally in Australia. My father also followed in his footsteps and Rallyed too(mainly Navigator), talking Mini CopperS, Rx3's, Datsun works team1600's and the like back in the 70s, Colin Bond is one who started his carear with Dad.

Anyway Years pass and the Old man gets back into it, about 3 years ago, he's 60 now. Following the traditions he enters into the Australian Rally Championship (ARC) with the Son of another Very famous driver named Mr Jack 'Gelignite' Murray who raced with my grandfather in the 60s.
    They enter in a WRX STI. So the 2 old blokes actually came 10th in Rally Queensland last month.

Motor Racing has this big thing with Father/Son traditions and Dad wanted me to get exposure (finally geeez i'm 34 now, better late than never lol).
    So over the last few years dad has been rebuilding a dato 1600 for rally. Well he got so eager and left the car in the garage and he spent 20k on a fully prepaired dato, that won the clubman championship the year before.
    I study and do all my shit in Feb to get my CAMS licence (Confederation of Australian Motorsport).

So we enter our first rally in March and oh boy i had a blast. Old man driving, me navigating. Rally of Lithgow NSW..not a round of the ARC but a hard proper CAMS rally none the less. And using WRC style Pace Notes my first time.....usually they use whats called a road book, it's way easier apparently.
    Picked it up no worries, we started last Car39...ended up 21st and 3rd in class

The Dato is CAMS spec so no SR20turbos like they are ALL doing over here now in 1600s
    Just a solid 2.0L with Big Webbers

Lota a picks I took at the start and the rest I found on the web after the rally from spectators posting their stuff lol

FYI the winners of the rally were in an old Vr4 magna woot woot

Thanks for Reading Enjoy:

Found InCar footage of my favorite stage, really fast in bits, in fact (i heard all about this cars little episode at the awards cerimony but never saw it till now) These guys actually won the rally but were disqualified as you will see. And yea I almost shat myself when dad was driving 1 handed into the fucking sun like these guys were, very scary

Another of a big heavy V8 RWD 4 door family car goin at it, the car is in my pics.
    They come undone at the same spot as the other dude, we almost did too, was something about the rise made the car light.

This thing is worth $250,000

Owner Since

Thanks

Owner Since

Thanks

BUS LENGTHS Feedback Score 1 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Awesome!!! You should build a rally spec 3/s

Owner Since

Thanks
    Not even feesible from all the way over here, i break something, i have to wait 4weeks for the part to arrive, next rally will have started and i'm still at the first one waiting on parts lol...but for srs, yes GTO rally would be the bomb, 4wd and the extra weight would actually help a bit, would beat a commodore anyway.....i'm thinking of taking mine in targa tasmainia at some stage..

The old man actually has an origanal 555 Colin Mcrae Sti 96' number 201 of 555 made, it's a track car only and i want to start thrashing that instead i think, he's used it for 1 track day in like 5 years. What a waste. And stubbon, he won't give it up either lol.

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Nice My dad rallied as well, and always says he'd love to do it again. I'm thinking about building up something cheap and rallying it. I might rallycross the Evo, but I'm not so sure it's a great idea to race your DD, hehe.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝