Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can AEM EMS be configured to run off stock maf? How do you tell how it's configured?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks

Can AEM EMS be configured to run off stock maf? How do you tell how it's configured?

I'm about to get my project stealth back on the road and was wanting to do some last minute intake mods and hopefully ditch the stock intake bubble and MAF. I bought this car with a tuned AEM EMS in it already, but I'm not entirely sure it's tuned for speed density. I noticed while tearing some things down that the stock MAF sensor was there and still hooked up. I do see the AEM temp sensor on the intercooler charge pipe and the AEM MAP sensor directly on the intake manifold. Is it possible the MAF was plugged in and doing nothing? Or could a speed density setup somehow still use the MAF maybe for it's barometric sensor or be relying on the MAF in any way? What should I look for when I try to explore the tune on a laptop?

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    map sensor plus IAT would seem to hint it was using speed density.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I managed to modify my IC piping a bit today so that everything fits much better than it did before. Now I can run the intake pipes, bubble, and MAF if need be, but I'm hoping they're all unncessary at this point. I'll be sad if it turns out this thing stuff needs the MAF haha

Unlike anything I've seen yet I now have my charge pipe going to the TB running under the intake bubble and MAF. The bubble now sits where the Y pipe in a stock setup usually is. I need to get a picture of this....

Owner Since

Thanks
    Would be interesing to see!.

AEM can run with a MAF so you`ll have to have a good dig about in the tune to see if it`s used (or jus unplug it and try to drive the car?).
    GTO-TT, PTE 1200's, M20, Emanage Ultimate, OS Geiken R3C,
    TD04-16g`s, Maf-t. 13g`s 12.4@115mph / 16g`s 12.5@117mph.

Forum User Not Verified
    Feedback Score 6 (100%)
    Owner Since

Thanks
    yeah there is a guy with username that starts with dg that has a 13G stealth with aem on stock maf. You can set it up for karmen.

Parting 6 speed
    Pampena 3.5 Stroker, GTX 2867 Gen IIs, AEM Series2, oohnoo SMIC, DN Hardpipes, FIC 1650s, Walbro 525, aermotive fpr, Dejon intake pipes, Tial Q, Koyo Rad, Samco Hoses, Stoptech 332mm fronts, HKS GT4 Coilovers, Spec 4+ LW, JDM 6 Speed, Billet shift forks, Pampena brace

Old Timer verified Feedback Score 0 amicus's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    AEM can use speed density or your MAF. Download the workmap and open it on a computer. Select "setup" along the top bar. You will see options "mass air sensor" and "mass air flow". Each of these will have a sub option called "options". Check each option. If the first box in mass air sensor is checked (called speed density) you are using speed density. Otherwise select mass air sensor, then 0-5 volt MAF, then options 0-5 volt. The first box labled MAF will be checked and you would be using the MAF.

Assuming you're using speed density which is probably the case, (otherwise why have a map sensor installed?), you may remove the MAF and set it up any way you want. The map may or may not need some retuning due to changes in the volume of air flow. If the changes are minor and your map is using O2 sensor feedback the map will adjust itself....up to a point.
    To check whether or not your map uses O2 feedback select "Fuel" along the top box, then select "O2 sensor feedback" then select "options O2 sensor" feedback. If the box marked "O2 FB Control" is checked you are using O2 feedback.

If you make a major change, ie. turbos, injectors, IC, etc the map will need a re tune. If you're not well versed in the AEM I'd suggest you have someone help you or take it to a shop that does.

Good luck.....now it's off to the SEMA show!!
    Last edited by amicus; 11-01-2010 at 10:45 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to amicus For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    That is possibly the most informative post ever and exactly what I was looking for lol.

I was thinking that maybe at the time the EMS was installed they didn't feel like forking out any additional money for intake pipes or a new filter+adapter, so the stock intake piping, bubble, and even MAF were retained simply so the K&N could still be used. Also this car appears to have had a stock 1G DSM BOV (uncrushed) still set up for recirculation. The connector for the MAF might have just been plugged in so it wasn't dangling around. I need to download the work map as stated and just poke around and see what's up. I'm not trying to tune it on my own, I just wanted to know what to look for in there at a glance.

I still have a lot of clean up to do under the hood, but here is how things are pretty much routed now:

This is supposedly an old "DR race fmic kit" which the huge core Matt uses. However, the main charge pipe does not have all the snakes and bends that I've seen in pictures of Matt's car, it looks more like the ETS kit piping from 3SX. The main charge pipe did not cooperate with the factory coolant overflow tank so someone removed it from this car and replaced it with a 1qt size container without the proper hardware, so it wasn't even doing it's job. I took the tank from the now officially retired deathsled parts car and mounted it up to find that the charge piping no long fit. After adding some slices and couplers and one 6 inch piece of pipe (see that red? lol) to give me some more points of rotation I was able to fit it again, but only how you see in that picture haha

I like how there is no IC pipe coming off the front turbo running over the manifold any more. Now if I just ditch the intake piping it'll be so empty under here!
    Last edited by deathsled; 11-01-2010 at 03:45 PM.

Banned Feedback Score 11 (100%) J. Fast's Avatar
    Owner Since
    - O - SIX -

Thanks
    Did you have any problems with MAF and AEM? What size maf did you end up going with? Anyone else using a MAF and and AEM, and/or using 02 feedback for self correction?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Far North Racing - Stealth - Programming the Mitsubishi MAF with the AEM EMS

Assuming you're using speed density which is probably the case, (otherwise why have a map sensor installed?)
    So you can use the boost control functions:

Far North Racing - Stealth - MAP_Sensor

DG

Owner Since

Thanks
    My car is running speed density with the AEM. When I didn't have intake pipes removing the need for the MAF sensor to just hold a place, I had it plugged in till I noticed with it plugged in, it was tossing off the signal from my air temp sensor. Plugged in, the air temp sensor always read one temp no matter what was going on. As soon as I unplugged the MAF, my air temp sensor started reading what it was supposed to read. So make sure if the MAF is plugged in but not being used, it isn't interfering with other sensors.
    WWW.3sofflorida.com is the new home for 3000GT & Stealth Enthusiasts in Florida. Sign up today. But also stay on this site too. Think of it as having multiple homes. Its a sign of being filthy rich.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast