Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wanting to make custom subwoofer boxes. Any interest??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum User verified Feedback Score 0 jbeard1's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Wanting to make custom subwoofer boxes. Any interest??

Hey guys, I think I would like to start a project with my father (whom used to own a furniture business and build rustic furniture), I am thinking to start building custom subwoofer boxes, like the ones you will see on eBay, that fit flawlessly in the back. I think those are so sharp looking, and Ill have access to my back seat once again.

HOWEVER! I was wondering, if there was any interest from people, if you would be interested in purchasing a custom box. I would like to do different things, like fiberglass and mirrors, with led's, different things like this, but not cheaply crafted. So I am interested to see if there would be any interest from the community?

-Jon

Forum User Feedback Score 0 reallyxxxxxxloud's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Are you any good at fibre glassing? How many full fibre glass boxes have you done? Really unless you have done a good 4 full fibre glass boxes I'd not be offering them for sale. If you are just glassing the floor ok fair enough. But anyhow good to see someone having a crack at our cars.
    "Video games don't affect kids, I mean if Pacman affected us as kids, we'd all be running around a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive music."

PIONEER-ODR RS-K1/C-100/C-200/RS-P50 X2/RS-P1/RS-M1
    DIAMOND-AUDIO HEX 8" X2/HEX SILK DOME TWEETERS X4/D7-401 AMP X2/D7-402 X1/D7-152 AMP X1/D7-104 AMP X1 ETON 4-300/25HEX 4" X4 AUDIO-CONTROL EPIC-160
    ECLPISE 10" TITANIUM (SUBSONICS) X2 SW9102
    PHOENIX-GOLD 12" CYCLONES (INFRASONICS) X2 DC SERVOS http://webfaq.phoenixphorum.com/cyclone.htm
    FUSION 7 COLOUR L.E.D KITS X4 2 MODIFIED. Intergrated lighting through out install.
    1994-MITSUBISHI-GTO-TWIN-TURBO-4WD-4WS-FULLY OPTIONED-SERIOUSLY being MODIFIED

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) jba3's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I think the ebay ones are fine, and the price is tough to beat. It also means losing the whole trunk.

What would probably sell well is a box that mounts behind the seats that still lets you keep the trunk space and storage area. Depending on price, I'd be in for one. Nobody makes those, and I won't get around to trying for many months.
    1995 VR4 Coupe

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jba3 View Post
    I think the ebay ones are fine, and the price is tough to beat. It also means losing the whole trunk.

What would probably sell well is a box that mounts behind the seats that still lets you keep the trunk space and storage area. Depending on price, I'd be in for one. Nobody makes those, and I won't get around to trying for many months.
    So basically something like that would mount between the area of the backseats, and a portion of the trunk? I think I could probably design something up like this, I am working on drawings right now. I would like to do some custom things, maybe even custom engraving of some sort.

As far as a setup, would you think it would be better to have people put in their own speakers, or do you think it would be better to sell as a whole kit, with the speakers already installed?

Thanks for the advice

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) jba3's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeard1 View Post
    So basically something like that would mount between the area of the backseats, and a portion of the trunk? I think I could probably design something up like this, I am working on drawings right now. I would like to do some custom things, maybe even custom engraving of some sort.

As far as a setup, would you think it would be better to have people put in their own speakers, or do you think it would be better to sell as a whole kit, with the speakers already installed?

Thanks for the advice
    I've got rough sketches of how to fit it behind the seats, just too many things to do first. Engraving probably wouldn't be too popular, because with the seats folded up, you don't see much of anything, and the "hump" behind them hides part of the rear part of the box too. It's a much more utilitarian design that the trunk setup, which is more for show.

More options never hurts. Pre-cut without speakers and pre-fab with them installed would be great.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I've got rough sketches of how to fit it behind the seats, just too many things to do first. Engraving probably wouldn't be too popular, because with the seats folded up, you don't see much of anything, and the "hump" behind them hides part of the rear part of the box too. It's a much more utilitarian design that the trunk setup, which is more for show.

More options never hurts. Pre-cut without speakers and pre-fab with them installed would be great.
    I would love to see what you have in your head as far as design, if your up for it shoot me an email with what you have designed in your head: jonbeard@vzw.blackberry.net

-Jon

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Scorch's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

I'm actually going to be in the market soon for a box exactly like the one you just mentioned. A lot of us use our 3/Ss as our daily drivers and need our trunk space, and want 2 12" amps to begin with.

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 7 (100%) mb3000's Avatar
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks
    IMO you would sell alot more boxes that mount behind the rear seats but still keep the trunk space. I have had both the ebay trunk box as well as a custom box that required the removal of the rear seats in my previous 3k and they both had huge drawbacks. This type box would probibly be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancelot_GT View Post

Forum User Feedback Score 0
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Oh so like the ones I build

Behind the seat

2 seater conversion

Amp rack built in

Member Not Verified Feedback Score 7 (100%) mb3000's Avatar
    Owner Since
    '09

Thanks