Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 100 push ups a day program. Anyone else ever try it?

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    You can always make a ton of noodles and get tomato juice, Alfredo sauce, or another topping for them. And warm them up at work . Sandwichs are pretty good too. I suppose you dont want noodle because of the carbs tho....

Oh I know a good one! Salads

| @/|/| +|2()|/| verified
    Owner Since
    December 2009

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thor'svr4 View Post
    try being 5'11"-6' and in the 130ish range... FML. i would like to just get to 150ish lbs but nothing i do seams to cause me to gain any weight. Ive tried those 'weight gainer' supplements and worked out for a month while taking them, i gained 2 lbs and spent $55 on that nasty powder lol.
    Haha ya, Im 5'7 130lbs and cant gain weight for the life of me....Wow you are skinny. My 11 year old cousin weighs more then me and has bigger feet!

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah, I should just make more sandwiches, and I love salad but I end up putting a lot of "extra" stuff that is probably pretty bad for me haha. Maybe I'll start looking more at labels and go with 'light' dressings etc.

100 pushups huh? That's a good warmup to get the day going when I don't have the time for a real workout. Did take a while to work up to it though. I had slacked off for a few years and dropped down to only being able to manage 40-50 in one set, so I just did however many sets it took to get to 100 and then did 3-4 sets of chinups (using one of those over the door chinup bars). These days, the only time I really do that is if I don't have time to workout after waking up. Bust out a 100 pushups, and as many chinups as I can manage, eat something and go. Kick starts the metabolism at least as opposed to being sluggish for the rest of the day.

For folks looking to tone up, give it a shot, and here's some other interesting info for you.

Specifically for MEN, some research indicates that breakfast truly is the most important meal of the day. The researchers discovered that when men skipped breakfast, their metabolism tended to be lower all day whereas men who ate a healthy breakfast:
    - not too much simple carbs (sugar), a combination of complex carbs and protein with a small percentage of fat (usually comes with the protein)
    tended to have a higher metabolism for the rest of the day.

Strangely enough, the study seemed to indicate that it doesn't really matter one way or the other for women.

For me, the best way to kickstart my metabolism is to wake up, and before doing much else, warm up and workout (or if I'm pressed for time, do a bunch of pushups and chinups, or alternate with one leg squats) and THEN have a quick breakfast. I use the term breakfast loosely to mean 'the first meal of the day' since my schedule is screwed up. I tend to keep the 'waking up' workouts to no more than 30 minutes, 45 tops, before eating because I've noticed for me in particular, working out longer than that before eating anything upon waking leads to muscle catabolism (body starts breaking down muscle tissue to fuel the effort. If you're trying to gain muscle, you end up getting nowhere).

Throughout the day, eat small meals evenly spaced (every 2-3 hours) for a total of 5 - 7 meals through the whole day. Eat healthy and keep the meals small enough that you never really feel full after any one of them. This tends to keep the body consistently fueled (and if you ensure you always consume a decent amount of protein each time, it makes a BIG difference in gains for the hardgainers). It also tends to keep your metabolism elevated. Coupled with a simple workout program (whether it's just the 100 pushups or something more), this can put you on track to kickstarting your metabolism into overdrive to the point where you're going to start feeling kind of hungry all the time as your body starts burning more and more calories (like I said, make the meals small).

My priority tends to be protein intake. I'm one of those who tries to get at least 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day. So I space out the protein intake over the 5 - 7 meals throughout the day. I tend to eat less carbs (mostly from fruit) and less fat. Your personal diet may vary (and you might definitely want to consult a physician before trying a high protein diet).

Max

seize the carpe!
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Lots and Lots of meat,iIts taken me 6 months to gain 10 pounds. Im 6'1" and finally at 170, granted I'm doing so with diet only.

-BOOSTTD- verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Me and my buddy just started this routine yesterday. He's in on a bet at work that he has to gain 20lbs by Dec 24th or else he has to pay everyone $20 (totaling $300) We weighed ourselves pre-workout and he was 144lb and I was 189lb. I'm in pretty good physical shape, but could stand to lose a little of the belly lol. We're going to combine this pushup routine with our regular weight training every night so he can (hopefully) reach his goal of 20lb in 2months...gonna be tough, but he might get it.

Forum User verified
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Did the initial challenge this morning. 29 push ups with good form. I think my main problem is that I do push ups really slow.

seize the carpe!
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3000GTCSULB View Post
    Did the initial challenge this morning. 29 push ups with good form. I think my main problem is that I do push ups really slow.
    There is nothing wrong with doing them slow, Im my opinion its much harder when you take your time. Form is much much more important than the amount you do. Without proper form you could end up hurting your back. My advice, Dont even focus on time at all. With every push up go nose deep and wait a second, ALL the way up and wait a second. Do this for two minutes and your arms will be numb in no time.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    I'm game for trying it. I need to get back some upper body strength from not working on cars, lol.
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Man vs 3/S verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    going to start it, was able to do 36!! haha starting on week 3
    93 R/T - Modded, Full Suspension, Full Exhaust, Quaife Diff, Turbo brakes, Alpine/Boston Sound One of 25
    98 VR-4 - Billet 13t's, Downpipe, Blitz EBC, Ohlins R/T coil overs, SCE center differential, SCE oil pan, Pampena braced trans, TEC Rear Strut Bar, Custom Front Strut Bar, Camber Arms, Alum Driveshaft, 2" Koyo, Maximal oil cooler, SAFC2, Defi Gauges, RC 550's, Supra Pump, Skillard Splitter, Hardpipes, XYZ 14" front brakes/Carbotech, 255 Dunlop Z2's, AMR 18x9's, Alpine/Infinity/JL Sound. One of 13

3SNG15 Best overall

"I explode 1 piece rotors" -- ABM --
    Runs 12's (12.98's!!!!!!)
    My Garage