Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 99 Montero ECU, 92 Stealth TT

Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) aaronatstate's Avatar
    Owner Since
    July 2005

Thanks

99 Montero ECU, 92 Stealth TT

After some investigation, it was discovered that 98 and 99 Montero ECUs shared the same circuit board with 98 and 99 VR4s. There are a few differences in the boards. The Montero board is missing 39 pieces, and has 4 that the VR4 board does not.

However, most of these missing pieces, are not needed for the majority of people who want a tuneable ECU. They are for things like the stock boost gauge, boost control, active exhaust, and a few other small things. One thing its missing is 2 of the 4 02 sensor paths, not a big deal for 1g cars, but the stuff would need to be soldered on for 2g's, or people who need OBDII. The most major thing missing, is the 3 pieces in the knock sensor circuit. Once the correct surface mount parts are soldered in, it works just fine.

Anyway, I had an adapter harness made for me, that included an OBDII port, and flashing enabler cable. I got it from a Brett, and it is awesome. The only problem was the AC controls weren't hooked up 100%, but Gatecrasher and I managed to figure it out, and got the AC working.

So Gate and I got it installed, and we flashed 99 VR4 code onto the ECU. Flashed it for 450cc injectors, and started it up. Started up like stock. After doing a few test drives, was getting knock, just like my original ECU with SAFC. Got into editing the timing tables. First thing that needed to be done was to account for the latency differences between the 1g cam sensor, and the 2g cam/crank setup. After calculating that at different RPMs, and taking out an additional 2 degrees for my higher compression pistons, and all the knock went away. Also all the knock I was getting at low RPMs and high load, i.e. flooring it in 5th at highway speeds is now gone as well.

So I know have a 92 Stealth TT, running a 99 Montero ECU, with 99 VR4 code. I have 13t's set to 14psi, 450cc injectors, all the other supporting modes, running 91 octane, and not a lick of knock. Also have a fully flashable ECU, and the best part is, my total investment will be about $450 bucks, for the ECU, harness, and a Tactix Openport 2.0. Another amazing thing is, it has 100% stock driveability, I got 24.4mpg with it, and its only using 1 02 sensor for right now, and no tuning has been done on the closed loop stuff yet.

TL : DR - 99 Montero flashable ECU with 99 VR4 code running a 92 Stealth TT with bigger injectors, and bigger turbos. Stock driveability, and full control.

Anyway here are some videos.

Last edited by aaronatstate; 01-13-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson

2. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronatstate For This Useful Post:

Keeping it real... Feedback Score 0 ChargerX3's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct. 2006

Thanks
    Might as well subscribe here as well...

Owner Since
    July 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerX3 View Post
    Might as well subscribe here as well...

Keeping it real... Feedback Score 0 ChargerX3's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct. 2006

Thanks

Here for the party Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) CoreyB's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Pretty cool. Nice work.

Member verified
    supporter
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Snazzy. Would this also work for hybrid owners?
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Owner Since
    July 2005

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
    Both Jeff and his GF have 94s. So far it has worked on his GFs car. Her car has some other small issues, like boost leaks and what not, that need to get fixed first. We did start it, and take it for a drive however. So it seems to work, but the weekend I was in KC, we spent most of our time getting my car running, so we could get some highway/cruise testing in as well on my drive home. The biggest thing with the hybrids, and OBDII pre flash cars (96-97), is the downstream cat monitoring has to be disabled for the car to run properly. This is probably most likely due to the missing 02 hardware on the Montero ECUs.

I plan on going back up to KC in a few weeks, and we can concentrate on her car more. I can update more on the hybrids at that point in time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronatstate For This Useful Post:

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0 HLxDrummer's Avatar
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    So you get a Montero ECU, do something for the knock stuff to work (what does this involve), wire it in to the correct wires/pins, wire in an OBD2 port, buy a Tactrix cable, flash the VR4 tune and your set? That's crazy! What did you have to do with the A/C stuff?

Overall, how hard would you say it would be to get a stock car to run on this setup? My VR4 is my DD but I've installed/tuned my eManage no problem and I'm wondering if I could get away doing this on my car. I have like $450 in my eManage setup.

Also, right now I'm using the Scanmaster/MMCd to log wideband. How would I log wideband without the Scanmaster/MMCd?
    Last edited by HLxDrummer; 10-26-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Member verified
    supporter
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronatstate View Post
    Both Jeff and his GF have 94s. So far it has worked on his GFs car. Her car has some other small issues, like boost leaks and what not, that need to get fixed first. We did start it, and take it for a drive however. So it seems to work, but the weekend I was in KC, we spent most of our time getting my car running, so we could get some highway/cruise testing in as well on my drive home. The biggest thing with the hybrids, and OBDII pre flash cars (96-97), is the downstream cat monitoring has to be disabled for the car to run properly. This is probably most likely due to the missing 02 hardware on the Montero ECUs.

I plan on going back up to KC in a few weeks, and we can concentrate on her car more. I can update more on the hybrids at that point in time.
    Cool beans

Forum User Not Verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) jba3's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChargerX3 View Post
    Apparently, firefox crashes from the sheer awesomeness of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by DocWalt View Post
    Probably. I'll have an answer in 2-3 weeks, hopefully.
    1995 VR4 Coupe

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast