Thread: Fuel Pump Sender Install Issues...Need Help

Fuel Pump Sender Install Issues...Need Help

So I got a used fuel pump sender assembly and was trying to put it in last weekend, but cannot get it install because the hose is frozen to the sender on one end. I was told the other end that the nut on the other end was supposed to be able to to spin freely of the hose, but after half a bottle PB blaster and as much grip and torque as I can get, it isn't going to turn.

At this point, the car is back in DC with my mechanically inept brother and I need a solution that my brother can perform. My thought is that perhaps we can "extend" the hose by using a couple of fittings from jegs; however, I have no idea what to get in terms of thread and size. Does anybody have any insight about what size and/or have any better ideas?

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    What turns is the "nut" on the hardline under the car. Neither hose end spins like a garden hose, nor does the fitting on the pump/sender assembly. You have to take it apart at the hardline, then once the assembly is out, you can loosen the hose and spin it off the sender if you wish. As far as getting the hard line apart, use flare nut wrenches to avoid damaging the fittings! Unless you have a lift and can get some good leverage cheater bars and cuss words are pretty much going to be necessary...

Quote Originally Posted by Steve '92ES View Post
    What turns is the "nut" on the hardline under the car. Neither hose end spins like a garden hose, nor does the fitting on the pump/sender assembly. You have to take it apart at the hardline, then once the assembly is out, you can loosen the hose and spin it off the sender if you wish. As far as getting the hard line apart, use flare nut wrenches to avoid damaging the fittings! Unless you have a lift and can get some good leverage cheater bars and cuss words are pretty much going to be necessary...
    So you're telling me that this is supposed to turn?
    Not this?
    This being the case, I feel like a mo-ron.

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    So you're telling me that this is supposed to turn?
    Yup!
    This being the case, I feel like a mo-ron.
    Just don't ask me how I know about this....

you don't happen to know what size flarenut wrench i need for that do you?

Stealth owner since '91
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Off the top of my head I'm thinking 14mm but then again I'm a pretty unreliable sort...
    (I THINK the small one on the hardline is 14mm and the large on on the hose is 19mm)

BTW - do yourself a favor and skip the cheap ones at Autopaluza. At a minimum get Craftsman, or NAPA.
    Cheap ones tend to spread open, slip, and round out the nut when the going gets tough.

To sears! Then its time to get my pb blasting, cussing and swearing on.