Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Bastard 2.0

The one. The only. verified Feedback Score 14 (100%) stealthee's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks

Blue Bastard 2.0

Well for those who have not read my latest update on the Stealth, it is dead in the water. This has brought me to this new project.

I picked up a 91 3000GT SL about a month or so ago. It was complete minus the engine, trans, and exhaust. The car had actually been TT converted at one point too. I actually picked it up with the intention on cutting it up and making patch panels for where the floor had issues, and using things like the gas tank, fuel/brake lines, rear subframe, and even the roof.

Anyway after running into more issues on the Stealth I decided my best course of action was just to use the SL going forward. It came with a clean Georgia title so I won't have any issues there.

Here are some pics of it some time after I got it

The car was originally maroon, or whatever Mitsubishi called it in 91. The car was repainted black at some point. It looks like a Maaco job. They did the door jams, and the underside of the hood, but not anything under the hood at all. When I started stripping the interior I found that they taped off around the door panels and the door sills instead of taking them off too.

Anyway, the car is insanely clean. By going through receipts in the glovebox it appears it was a southern car most of its life. It was bought new by a doctor in North Carolina. I even found the original window sticker. After a lot of personal debate, all of those factors weighed in on me going forward with the SL.

Once I made that decision I got busy

As for my plans, teh car is still going to be blue. I will be converting the front end to 2g and going back to 99 as originally planned. I'll still be repairing and reusing the Victory hood. Will use the amber corners and 2g center panel I had in the Stealth. Going with a 2g rear bumper and 1g Stealth side skirts all as planned. I'll be purchasing 99 sails. For the spoiler I may look for a AA spoiler as I think it looks better than the NA spoiler. I'll probably keep the 96 spoiler back for safe keeping or a possible future project.

As for the engine, I will be putting the SOHC and 5 speed into the car. I'm sure I'll have some things to work out putting a SOHC engine into a DOHC car, but I'll get it figured out. The main thing I know is the SOHC alternator wiring is in the engine harness and the DOHC is in the body harness.

As you can see from the engine pic I've already removed all the ABS crap and it won't be going back in. The ECS stuff is removed as well. I'm going to try to remove as much of the wiring of each that I can.

My next set of goals include getting the underside undercoated/bedlined and start bolting things back up under it. I'll be cleaning and painting heat shields and brackets before they go back in. I'll also be cleaning and bedlining the wheel wells. I seriously considered painting the entire interior blue, but thought better when I realized just how much paint it will take. I think I am just going to use the bedliner and do the floor up in it before I start bolting the interior back together.

If I can have it at least partially assembled. with the bay and jams painted and have it rollable before snow flies then I'll consider it a success. I've basically started over with this car so my timeline might not go as planned and having to 2g convert is adding an extra cost and step, but I'll take it as it comes.

[06-05, 19:29] OhioSpyderman: Brian, finding a woman is NOT the answer, you need to shop for a good VACUUM

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stealthee For This Useful Post:

Forum User Feedback Score 3 (100%) Unlogic's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I think you did the right choice here. That car looks like a much better starting point for your project.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Hmm.

Beginning to look like Casa Mitoska.

You go, Brian...
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    It looks like a Mitsu graveyard at the moment. The black.car is as pictured. The Stealth is as stripped, but at least it's under a cover, and I just got a 98 Spyder Eclipse dropped off yesterday thst is getting stripped for a few parts and junked too.

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified Feedback Score 9 (100%) j2k4's Avatar
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    I gotta shoot you a PM, after I check something out...

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    So I got a few projects going on at once right now. As mentioned I got a 98 Spyder Eclipse dropped off yesterday that I am trying to get tore down and out of here as soon as possible. I spent a good part of the day on it and got a lot accomplished with it. I also got some things accomplished with the 3000GT.

First thing I did was remove the sail panels. I forgot how much crap has to be taken out just to get those things out right. LOL

Afterwards I pressure washed the wheel wells to knock any loose dirt and old undercoating off. I did the same underneath. While I let it dry I worked on other things but came back to it and started hitting it with bedliner.

The results

I got the rear subframe up on the saw horses and got it pressure washed and painted too.

The only damage found on the car is in with the drivers headlight bucket and the area behind the drivers sideskirt

I ordered new 2g buckets and the area behind the skirt shouldn't cause any issues.

I took one last shot of the whole car

I need to get more bedliner to do all of the interior. I might go get some paint this week to do the bay, jams etc. Once that stuff is done things can start going back together.

Stealth owner since '91 Feedback Score 0 Steve '92ES's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Damn glad to see you're still in this Brian!
    I don't know how much I can contribute but if any of my odd 'n ends will help (mostly relays and such) they're yours.
    Good Luck!

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    Thanks Steve. I should be good in that department. I might run into some things on the electrical side that your expertise may help on though.

Owner Since
    August 28, 2002

Thanks
    So, nothing accomplished on the 3000 today because I was busy on this Spyder. Just to show you how much has gotten accomplished there.

Here is how it looked Saturday

And here is how it looks today

Only thing left in it is the engine and trans. Hope to get those prepped to come out tomorrow and then I will have help getting them out Thursday.

I think I am going to go get paint on Wednesday. This weekend is shot as I am going out of town for a wedding. Hoping to maybe get the engine bay, jams, etc done some time next week so I can start bolting things back together.. Might even take a day off to get the stuff sprayed since I am running out of nice weather.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 Beef6's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yeah Buddy!

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast