Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: 6G74 crank(good for a 3.5L build - 6G72 stroker or 6G74 route)

  1. #1
    One fix at a time verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) TurboSinceBirth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,268
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts

    6G74 crank(good for a 3.5L build - 6G72 stroker or 6G74 route)

    I have a used crank out of a Mitsubishi Debonaire. It's forged and what I used for my stroker. At the time I built mine used forged 6G74 cranks were hard to come by and they still are for the most part. I had bought this one at the same time I came across another one so I was keeping it as a spare. I don't need to get rid of it but I'm sure someone could use it for their 3.5L build. It has low miles on it and is in good shape. Brand new these cranks are $900. I'd like to get $450 for it. I'll have to check to see how much shipping will be since it's a heavy item.
    SOLD!!!
    Last edited by TurboSinceBirth; 01-31-2011 at 09:17 PM.
    95 RT/TT Billet TD04s E70, DW1000cc injectors, ARC-2 with 92mm maf, 3SX fuel rail loop, hotwired Walbro 416/485, 3" FMIC, single small Krank vent, DR 3.5" downpipe and cat-back, DNP 02 housings, Hallman Pro MBC, BlackStealth LCDBC, AEM wideband, AEM oil pressure, Apexi S1 coilovers with SCE EVO 8/9 adapters, 3SX adjustable control arms, Spec 3+ clutch, Maximal solids/3SX poly motor mounts, Setrab custom SMOC, stock motor 127k miles, stock drivetrain.

  2. #2
    One fix at a time verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) TurboSinceBirth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,268
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts

  3. #3
    seize the carpe! Feedback Score 0 Lithium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong but all you need to do is swap this with your 6G72 crank and you get what displacement???

  4. #4
    Member verified Feedback Score 10 (100%)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Albany, OH
    Posts
    499
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but all you need to do is swap this with your 6G72 crank and you get what displacement???
    I'm pretty sure you have to have machine work done on the crank to make the journals the right size. Pampena can do it.

  5. #5
    seize the carpe! Feedback Score 0 Lithium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gs1000kat View Post
    I'm pretty sure you have to have machine work done on the crank to make the journals the right size. Pampena can do it.
    Yes machine work is needed to use the 6G72 bearings but I believe that's all that's needed.

  6. #6
    One fix at a time verified Feedback Score 4 (100%) TurboSinceBirth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2004

    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,268
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    64
    Thanked 69 Times in 55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    Yes machine work is needed to use the 6G72 bearings but I believe that's all that's needed.
    Yes you need the machine work done on this stock 6G74 crank. I would not put the crank into the engine until after you get it balanced with the rods and pistons. Ray has to cut down the counterweights, machine down the rod and main journals, and then balance the crank with mallory. For the displacement it depends on what size of a bore you go with. Most of the Pampena strokers go out with a 92.5mm bore. Mine is a 93mm bore which gives me a true 3.50L displacement. The 92.5mm bore gives you 3.45L if I'm not mistaken. I'd have to crunch the numbers to verify that.

  7. #7
    seize the carpe! Feedback Score 0 Lithium's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Posts
    233
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Any idea what ray charges to make these modifications to this crank?

  8. #8
    Member verified Feedback Score 10 (100%)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Albany, OH
    Posts
    499
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lithium View Post
    Any idea what ray charges to make these modifications to this crank?
    Don't remember the exact number, but was thinking it was around 1000.00

    You'll need connecting rods and pistons as well. They aren't cheap either. I'm thinking around 1200 for the both. 3sx sells the stuff, I think
    Last edited by gs1000kat; 11-23-2010 at 01:22 PM.

  9. #9
    Forum User verified Feedback Score 4 (100%)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since

    Location
    Warner Robins, GA
    Posts
    726
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 132 Times in 83 Posts
    The stroker set up uses a 6G72 block. Not only do you need to machine the crankshaft, you have to clearance the block (grind the oil pan rails/etc). I doubt you'll get pistons and rods for $1200. The stroker uses stock length 6G72 rods, but the Ross pistons are custom pieces and have a small portion of the piston pin bore that is slightly above the bottom of the oil ring land. But it all works. Ray is probably the best source of info on the set up. I'd call him for any and all questions. Just my 1.5 cents worth.

    Quote Originally Posted by gs1000kat View Post
    Don't remember the exact number, but was thinking it was around 1000.00

    You'll need connecting rods and pistons as well. They aren't cheap either. I'm thinking around 1200 for the both. 3sx sells the stuff, I think

  10. #10
    Member verified Feedback Score 10 (100%)
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Owner Since
    2001

    Location
    Albany, OH
    Posts
    499
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BaadVR4 View Post
    The stroker set up uses a 6G72 block. Not only do you need to machine the crankshaft, you have to clearance the block (grind the oil pan rails/etc). I doubt you'll get pistons and rods for $1200. The stroker uses stock length 6G72 rods, but the Ross pistons are custom pieces and have a small portion of the piston pin bore that is slightly above the bottom of the oil ring land. But it all works. Ray is probably the best source of info on the set up. I'd call him for any and all questions. Just my 1.5 cents worth.
    I had in my mind that rods would be around 5-600 and pistons around 6-700. I thought that is what I had seen. Sorry for the misinformation

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Resources
3000GT / Stealth / GTO / Multi-site Classifieds
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Event Pages
3S National Gathering
East Coast Gathering
Upper Mid-West Gathering
Blue Ridge Gathering
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Clubs and Groups
Michigan 3S
MInnesota 3S
Wisconsin 3S
Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas 3S
North California 3000GT/Stealth
United Society of 3S Owners
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Forums
3000GT/Stealth International
3000GT/Stealth/GTO Information and Resources
Team 3S
3000GT / Stealth / GTO Information
daveblack.net
The 3000GT/Stealth/GTO Web History Project
3000gt.com
3000GT / Stealth International WWWboard Archive