Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Might transfer to ASU, anyone here from Arizona?

Why? Because Race Car. verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Might transfer to ASU, anyone here from Arizona?

So like the title says, I might, well actually I'm rather dedicated to the the idea of transferring to ASU to continue my mechanical engineering degree. Anyone here from the Phoenix area? What's your opinion of the area, and what is there to do for a college student? My current roommate is from Phoenix, but I would like other opinions as well.

-Oh, btw, I'd be transferring from SDSMT which is in Rapid City, SD. Its depressing here for me, so I gotta move ASAP.

-Alex
    91 R/T TT
    Mods: RC 550s, Stillen Downpipe, Stillen Cross-Drilled Rotors, HKS Exhaust, HKS VPC, HKS EBC, HKS Turbo Timber, HKS Twin Power, HKS SSQV BOV, HKS SMIC, HKS Fuel Pump, Wiseco Pistons, 3SX Rods, Ferrera SS Valves, 3rd Gen Lifters, 15G Turbos, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, B&M FMOC, Unorthodox Racing Underdrive Pulley, EGR blockoff.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I wouldn't recommend it. My friend graduated from there and I went to visit her one time. There is nothing out there except cactus, lol. If your going there purely for the education then it would be fine.

Rice Patrol verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akotten View Post
    Its depressing here for me, so I gotta move ASAP.
    -Alex
    Quote Originally Posted by VR-4 0wnz j00 View Post
    There is nothing out there except cactus, lol.
    lol...sounds like just the place for someone who thinks where they live is depressing...

BAD ASS - I've got one Not Verified
    Owner Since
    2/2010

Thanks
    Don't we have enough engineers here named Alex?
    Ranked No. #1 in initial quality

Idiots, simply by being idiots, seem capable of achieving randomly bad things that are beyond the imaginings of sensible people.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to j2k4 For This Useful Post:

There's is a bit of good in evryone verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Arizona is awesome.

Owner Since

Thanks
    There may be a lot of cactus and desert, but there's also a city there for me. Rapid City is about 60,000. The second largest city in South Dakota. The only thing here is the black hills and the ski resort. I like to hike but its only for a few months while I'm here because its too cold most of the time, and I never really got into skiing/snowboarding.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vr4chick View Post
    Arizona is awesome.
    Any supporting reasons?

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I live about 15 minutes from asu. Its not that horrible out here. Living in tempe there hookah bars, lots of bars and parties. Tempeis a big party town considering there lots of college students. Theres misc. stuff to do like theres a car show every saturday at the scottsdale pavillions which is the biggest car show in az. Its also not far from were you would be staying. Its not the greatest city but by far not the worst.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I feel like I can contribute to this...

I spent the first 2 semester of my collegiate career studying mechanical engineering at SMU in Dallas. The school was easy enough, but I couldn't find any people there I could relate to. They call it Southern Money for a reason, y'know? Anyway, after 2 semesters, enough was enough. My grades were good enough, I was miserable enough, my parents didn't give me any grief about my decision to transfer.

I worked up the balls to tell my parents a bit too late, so I spent the next semester taking 17 hours @ community college. I got a bunch of BS out of the way, Calc 2 was easy as fuck, and I took a welding course because I wanted the skills for my VR4 (but it sure was a nugget of gold on my resume!)...

I was lucky and got into the University of Texas. It was a massive step up with respect to difficulty, I doubted myself, but I found myself far more motivated to work... It's funny what being happy will do. Without a doubt, transferring back to Austin (where I grew up) was the best decision of my life.

Arizona is beautiful... ASU is nationally recognized as one of the top party schools, year after year, right along side Texas. If ASU has a better mechanical engineering program than SDSMT, I say commit yourself, DO IT, and never look back!! (except at the end when you can be proud as eff at what you just accomplished!)

Good luck!!
    Last edited by AdamVR4; 10-18-2010 at 03:41 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Well to be honest, it would probably be a small downgrade as far as engineering goes. But classes here are ridiculous and the stress is really tearing me up. I hate the fact that I have one professor to choose from for Physics, one professor for Thermodynamics, etc. I want options because not everyone learns in the same ways so the professor plays a big role.

SDSMT:
    Pros
    Great engineering program
    Super affordable
    4.5hrs from home
    Moderate weather (comparing to Eastern SD)

Cons
    Small specialized school
    Rapid City (its dumpy with drunk Indians everywhere)
    No women at school
    Classes are so challenging that the additional stress is beginning to not be worth the extra reputation
    Cold - I've lived here all of my life and I'm tired of it

ASU:
    Pros
    More specialized degree; I can actually focus on automotive or aeronautical engineering, not just mechanical in general
    Large city with a variety of entertainment
    Warm year round
    Only slightly more expensive than home
    Ability to drive my bike year round for commuting
    Women

Cons
    21hr drive from home
    Making all new friends again during middle of sophomore year
    Slightly weaker engineering reputation

Really, I just want to find a place where I'll be happier. I've always told myself that I would move south someday, so I might as well experience some of it while I'm in college instead of being stuck there for a job (in case I don't like it). I had no idea ASU is a big party school. Not sure what to think of that yet. I guess I've been known to like to party, but I've been cutting back a lot so its not an important factor for me. I guess it'll be a way to meet new friends.