Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine bay wiring tuck/fusebox relocation

Forum User supporter Feedback Score 0 1992redvr-4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks

Engine bay wiring tuck/fusebox relocation

I've been working on cleaning my engine bay up and doing all the deletes and such. I'm looking to relocate the fusebox into the passenger front fender well as well as the a/c fuse box into the drivers front fender well.

I've done away with the cruise control, clutch assist booster, ECS, ABS, vacuum reduction, battery relocation, front washer tank, AWS, and SRS.

A quick question to those who have experience, once things like the ECS are gone, what did you'll do with the wiring connector? Just tuck it nicely or remove it out of the wiring? I know that (theb1rd65 austin) removed the wiring completely out of the harness for weight reduction throughout the entire car on his World Record stock engine/9B Stealth. Has anyone else done similar that could chime in on this?

Thanks,
    Eric

Forum User Feedback Score 13 (100%) Austin@STM's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Im Austin@STM on this board so ya know, thats my name on 3Si.

Anyways the easiest way to start is to pull the whole thing out and figure out where you want the fuse box to be, as you are pulling it out label the connectors that wont be used so that you dont waste time extending them. It is fine to just tuck them out of the way, you dont need to completely pull the wires out of the harness, that way you can put an option back in, in the future.

Once you have the fuse box or boxes mounted where you want them, figure out where you want to run the wires and start extending them one by one, try and make them all run in one group as much as possible as it will look cleaner.
    Also very important to make sure you solder and tape every wire, and make sure you leave a little slack to account for engine movement.

-Austin@STM

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin@STM View Post
    Im Austin@STM on this board so ya know, thats my name on 3Si.

Anyways the easiest way to start is to pull the whole thing out and figure out where you want the fuse box to be, as you are pulling it out label the connectors that wont be used so that you dont waste time extending them. It is fine to just tuck them out of the way, you dont need to completely pull the wires out of the harness, that way you can put an option back in, in the future.

Once you have the fuse box or boxes mounted where you want them, figure out where you want to run the wires and start extending them one by one, try and make them all run in one group as much as possible as it will look cleaner.
    Also very important to make sure you solder and tape every wire, and make sure you leave a little slack to account for engine movement.

-Austin@STM
    I had posted the exact same thing on the other site also.

Anyways, I've got harness pulled out and everything labeled. I was thinking of pulling out the ECS, ABS, and SRS wires completely. I don't really plan on using them ever again, it would be a big job but I think I'll give it a try. With other wiring such as the PS fluid cap (I've done AWS delete with N/A res.) could I just clip the wiring at the harness and use heat shrink on each wire then cover it back in the loom. Could there be any issues there? I also plan on re-looming the entire engine harness.

Owner Since

Thanks
    All you have to do for the most part is follow the wires until they stop. If you are unsure you can just cut off the end wrap it up and tuck it in the harness. There is no need for the PS resivoir wiring, i got rid of that as well.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, or call the shop.

-Austin@STM

Owner Since

Thanks
    Sounds good, what about these switches..... there is one bigger push button behind the passenger headlight, one small push switch behind the drivers headlight.

This isn't mine but I found this pic....

http://www.spartanframeworks.com/Spi.../EngineBay.jpg

I forgot about this too...... I did the vac reduction and took the solenoid pack off the firewall. Would it affect anything to remove the connector on it?
    Last edited by 1992redvr-4; 10-12-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I never found out for sure what the switches were, im pretty sure they are just for the security system or hood light. Mine are gone and everything is fine.

As far as the solenoid pack, you can cut it off with no ill effects, being a first gen you dont have to worry about any of that for inspection.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Austin@STM For This Useful Post:

Owner Since

Thanks
    Sweet, thanks for the help man. Looks like the wife may be a little mad when I've got the wiring harness strung out in the room later....lol. Hopefully all goes well.

VR-3747 :D Not Verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) futurevr4man's Avatar
    Owner Since

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    nice to see you gettin on your car man!
    rise and rise again until lambs become lions

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by futurevr4man View Post
    nice to see you gettin on your car man!
    Yep I figure I should work on it since its been down for three years now...lol. I've got alot of work to do.

Owner Since

Thanks
    I've got a quick question.... if anyone could help me.

So I've got a stripped engine bay right now and I've got the wiring out. I should have labeled all of it before I pulled it but I've got a couple questions now...most of the parts are in my parents attic and I haven't gotten a chance to look at them yet.

With the radiator fan wiring, the connector is beside/below the main fuse box on the passenger headlight bucket? Does the wiring for the two fans also have the wiring for the two radiator sensors in the bottom?

Second, down on the framerail behind the drivers headlight bucket, there are two almost identical connectors hanging togther. What do they go to?

I've got all the parts put up, guess I should have labeled the wires before I took everything out. The only thing I need to figure out is what those two wires in the above pic go to. I've got the foglight, headlight, corner light, A/C fuse box, A/C part, Alt-02-A/C compressor wiring all labeled. Just need those two connectors labeled....

Last edited by 1992redvr-4; 10-14-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast