Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is wrong with my door locks?

1994 3000GT Original Owner. verified Feedback Score 0 Bob's Avatar
    Owner Since
    August 1994

Thanks

What the heck is wrong with my door locks?

My door locks will lock at any time without warning! When I go to disarm the alarm (dealer installed Mitsubishi Alarm), the door locks will unlock and immediately lock again. I have to use the key sometimes to unlock. I know one thing.....I've learned to carry a spare key in my pocket! It will sometimes act o.k. for a spell and then go haywire!

Any ideas as to what might be causing this? Maybe some relay? Any info will be appreciated.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 mikeyVR4's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I have had the same issue for months now. At first I thought it was my aftermarket alarm and stock alarm fighting one another but after my visit to the alarm installation place, that wasn't the case.

So this is what's happening to mine and I have learned to live with it. If the car is unlocked already, dont use the key to try to lock or unlock the door. This will make the car lock spasm out and go from unlock to lock to unlock to lock. Once it is locked, then you can unlock it with the key.

If the car was locked initially, you can unlock it with the key normally. But opening the passenger side door is a little crazy. I have to hit the driver side door unlock button sometimes a few times for the passenger side door to unlock. You have to pause through each attempt. Trying to do it fast never works.

So what is the solution? I was told that my window regulator/relay was out. The audio store said that some door regulators go haywire when they are going out/bad. I kinda learned to live with the issue so it doesn't bother me anymore.

Your not alone lol.

Mike

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeyVR4 For This Useful Post:

Bob

Forum User Feedback Score 0 enigma's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    this may be the answer, no pics though!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had this chattering problem. Pulled the drivers lock apart to see what was going on and sussed it after a few mins. Bsically the little half cog thing that makes the contacts when the door is open or shut, overshoots in its position. There are some dampers to stop it goin too far in the motor part of the lock, but mine had fallen off and was more like black blue-tack(or black-tack perhaps). Basically when the lock is open, the half cog spins round and goes past the open position and back onto the closed position, which makes the lock try to open again, and then close, and then open... etc ect... and kinda chatters the lock. I've just glued a bit of rubber, where the old black rubber stuff was and its sorted. Heres some pics which will hopefully make more sence.

1st remove the door card and remove the central locking unit(fairly easy with window up). Then carefully pry the unit open once its removed with a flat blade screwdriver.
    Should look like this inside. (Currently in locked position)

Next you can see where the damper at the top(open position) is worn or missing. Right side of the unit at the top. You can see the one still in position at the bottom.

Heres where the half cog should stop when open(12 o'clock) Sorry its a bit blurd.

And heres where it does stop with no rubber or a badly worn one.

And lastly the cheap fix. Just need to glue a bit of rubber into the posion where the original rubber would be. I used a corner of the rubber suction plugs that you use for removing halogen spotlights( All i could find lyin around) A piece of pensil rubber would do the job, about 3mm thick. Clean surface well from grease and superglue into position. Then you can clip the top back onto the unit(i superglued it again) and try out in car. You can plug it in, without puttin it all back together to test it.

SORTED. AN ANNOYING PROBLEM FIXED FOR VIRTUALLY FREE.

Completed with rubber in place.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to enigma For This Useful Post:

Member verified Feedback Score 2 (100%) blindmist's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    If it is like the VW Jetta's, check that your door switch is functioning properly. It could be an auto lock in case you unlock it but don't open the door, it locks itself after a set amount of time. If the door switch is bad, the alarm system always thinks that the door is closed.

H9 三菱 GTO MR Feedback Score 0 Tys's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Same thing happened to me a while back. It turned out to be the door lock mechanism, so I just swapped it with a new one from Mits. Since then, no problems.

I followed Stealth316's guide on removing the interior door trim and then removed the rods that lead to the door latch. I also had to remove the outside door handle to get more room to reach the door latch.

Owner Since
    August 1994

Thanks
    Thanks for the good info, guys. Does anyone know the part number(s) for the door lock mechanism?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0 HLxDrummer's Avatar
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Check the harness in the door jam. Mine was all messed up causing me problems like this. That and the ETACS

Forum User Feedback Score 0 DrkZide's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    It's the ETACS, guaranteed. Just be glad your alarm doesn't go off at 7am every morning

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit
    "De Oppresso Liber" - "Nous Defions"

Owner Since
    August 1994

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DrkZide View Post
    It's the ETACS, guaranteed. Just be glad your alarm doesn't go off at 7am every morning
    What does ETACS stand for?
    Last edited by Bob; 10-08-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Forum User Feedback Score 0 DrkZide's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    What does ETACS stand for?
    Electronic Time and Alarm Control System

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DrkZide For This Useful Post:

Bob

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast