Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knock sensor

Better than that "other" place Not Verified
    Owner Since

Thanks

Knock sensor

Not even sure why I'm posting this... I know the answer.

I guess I am posting this to ask one question... is this going to mess up my timing advance? I can deal without a knock sensor for right now... but I'm taking the car to the track this weekend and really don't want my timing to retard. I know I'm not really knocking.

How much does a used sensor go for? I still need to do some diagnostics before I buy one, but I might as well start inquiring now.

Vacuum reduction, Powdercoated misc, cruise relocate, Evo9 BOV, Custom catch cans, Russell fuel filter, SS braided fuel lines, High flow fuel loop, Autogage fuel gauge, Catless DP, DNP Y-pipe, Fuel pump hotwire.

Low & Slow verified
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Yes it will mess with the advance. For approximately every 3 counts of knock my logger sees the car pulls 1 degree. This may differ from car to car but it's what I have noticed on my car. Good luck at the track.

Jeff

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kywhitelightning View Post
    Yes it will mess with the advance. For approximately every 3 counts of knock my logger sees the car pulls 1 degree. This may differ from car to car but it's what I have noticed on my car. Good luck at the track.

Jeff
    You're right. I'm seeing timing reduce to a mere 2 degrees at WOT now.

Wow, this sucks. Everything that has NEVER gone wrong with my car is happening this week. ARGGHH.

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks
    Get it fixed. It's simple and relatively easy. Just pull the intake plenum, and then the lower intake manifold, and there it is. You probably know this, but just for reference.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blindmist View Post
    Get it fixed. It's simple and relatively easy. Just pull the intake plenum, and then the lower intake manifold, and there it is. You probably know this, but just for reference.
    oh yea... no big deal on replacing the sensor. I feel like I'm down there once a week, lol.

Problem is that I am going to the track this weekend. It's OK though... I think I found one kind of close to me.

Still need to do some testing with the meter to make sure it's the sensor.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by x2xtreme360 View Post
    oh yea... no big deal on replacing the sensor. I feel like I'm down there once a week, lol.

Problem is that I am going to the track this weekend. It's OK though... I think I found one kind of close to me.

If you want a brand new one we can get it to you by the weekend. It would be $105 shipped.

-Ricer Evo 8: 8.75 @ 166 Best MPH of 167. Quickest 4G63 Powered Evo in The US!!!
    -Chris Cessna's Stock short block Evo 8: 9.76@150 Worlds Fastest Stock Motor Evo 8 and First Stock Block In The 9's!
    -Shawna's DD Evo 8: 9.97@143.88 Best MPH of 145 Full leather interior, A/C, navigation, stock brakes, cruisin 9's in style
    -Cory's Stock 7 bolt talon: 10.3@136 No crank walk here...
    -STM Stock turbo/motor Stealth RT: 10.95@127 Worlds Quyickest/Fastest and most powerful Stock turbo/ motor 3S
    -James STM built Pump gas Evo8 stock motor: 10.2@137 Stock long block, and only on pump gas!
    -Mike Faggiano Evo3 16g stock motor 1g 11.0@124 just a 16g knockin on 10's door.
    And the list goes on...

Member verified
    Owner Since
    Aug 15, 2005

Thanks

I would say 99% chance its the sensor and not wiring. I am just trying to diminish your hopes so that when you find out it is the sensor and not the wiring you won't be so upset.

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by blindmist View Post
    I would say 99% chance its the sensor and not wiring. I am just trying to diminish your hopes so that when you find out it is the sensor and not the wiring you won't be so upset.
    lol yea but the wiring check is free since I know my way around a multimeter

I just picked one up from a local member so it should be installed by the end of this week.

Forum User
    Owner Since

Thanks
    lol yea but the wiring check is free since I know my way around a multimeter

I just picked one up from a local member so it should be installed by the end of this week.
    Awesome, now get it ready for the track and post some times!

BTW what track you going to with it?

Owner Since

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin@STM View Post
    Awesome, now get it ready for the track and post some times!

BTW what track you going to with it?
    I'm actually going to the Glen this weekend. I'm not sure if they actually time the laps because it's a road course class... but it's pedal to the metal all day long.

Oh, and I just found out what my wobbling noise was... bad wheel bearing what a week.