Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who has Tuned with no NB02s?

Forum User verified Feedback Score 0 HLxDrummer's Avatar
    Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks

Who has Tuned with no NB02s?

I've made a thread about this on 3Si but didn't get much attention. I've tried disconnecting the NB02's and tuning it out so I have full control over AFR but I've come accross a problem.

Under low RPM/high load it knocks like crazy even with a sane AFR and a couple of degrees timing pulled. If I plug them back in and go to stock tune (leaner and more timing) it may get a few counts of knock but nothing like with them disconnected.

I got better mileage with them disconnected and liked having control over the entire map but can't figure out what is causing the knock when I disconnect the NBO2s. Any ideas?

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    No idea, but good to see ya over here
    R135
    ╚╬╬╝

Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Glad to see you here! I love all the sinking ship avatars lol. Props to Alan for doing this, I can't imagine how much work it must require!

Member verified Feedback Score 1 (100%) B-Man's Avatar
    Owner Since

Thanks
    I've been running w/o O2's for awhile now. I get the same knock issues. I pretty much just ignore it. Mine happens under 0psi (vacuum) and with a 12.0afr, so I just figured it was phantom
    '92 Dodge Stealth RT/TT - Aug. 2012 COTM

Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
    I've been running w/o O2's for awhile now. I get the same knock issues. I pretty much just ignore it. Mine happens under 0psi (vacuum) and with a 12.0afr, so I just figured it was phantom
    Interesting.. Mine happens from -8 inHg to 0 PSI at low RPM (2,100 and under). AFR and timing help mine a tiny bit but not much.

I think it's real knock because once I go back to stock tune/O2s it goes away. So it couldn't be a mechanical noise, right?

Owner Since

Thanks
    What you're saying is actually making me concerned that it's not actually phantom knock. I do, however, get a lot of random knock (12-14 counts while cruising on the highway). How far are you pushing your afr? As far as I know, having the O2's unplugged do not affect the stock timing. I am not completely sure of that but I would imagine it would actually retard it if anything.

Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Man View Post
    What you're saying is actually making me concerned that it's not actually phantom knock. I do, however, get a lot of random knock (12-14 counts while cruising on the highway). How far are you pushing your afr? As far as I know, having the O2's unplugged do not affect the stock timing. I am not completely sure of that but I would imagine it would actually retard it if anything.
    Well here is my theory. Knock at low loads (relative to your 18 PSI on 13Ts) isn't very harmful and lots of cars experience it without blowing up. However, if I have to put strain on the engine I want it to be at WOT when I am having fun, not when I'm pulling a hill.

I also get knock here and there even when the stock tune but I drive at or under 2,000 RPM a lot.

At first I had the AFR around 15 at -8 inHg dropping to 14.5 at 0 PSI. Knocked like crazy. Gradually worked my way down to 14.6 at -8inHg and 13.8 at 0 PSI and still knocks even with 3-4 degrees pulled.

I've thought about this for months and can't figure it out. What else can the computer control that would cause this? Timing looks similar when I've looked at the Scanmaster. AFR obviously is monitored..

I would love to make this work though. I was AVERAGING 26-27 MPG with a (IMO) safe tune and had the top end nailed down nicely. The knock just scares me..

Owner Since

Thanks
    First of all, I'd LOVE to get 26-27mpg. I normally get 17/22, but I'm a little heavy on the gas

How high is your knock count? If you're still getting knock at that afr with that much timing pulled, it's gotta be something else. I usually go for 14.0 at 0psi and pretty much 14.7-15.0 under 0psi.

Are you using an EMU?

Owner Since
    ~2006

Thanks
    Well that is 50/50 city/highway and I either baby my car or stomp on it (usually baby it haha).
    Knock is usually mid teens if I just maintain my speed up a hill but if I try to accelerate or give it any gas once it starts knocking it'll go to 28.

I would be thrilled with your AFR if the knock would just go away! I'm using an eManage Blue.

Member verified Feedback Score 0 DocWalt's Avatar
    Owner Since
    Oct '08 - Oct '10

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Bad knock sensor maybe? Does it have goo oozing out the top of it?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast